New Rack Ideas!

Merth

As soon as my fish room is complete and ready to move in I'm planning to dedicate a rack for shrimp. Currently Im thinking a triple stack of 20 longs. I have blue rilis (sold as such but I believe blue velvets) and a couple chocolate neos (basically look like wilds). I sold most of these off as well as my rcs colony.

Tap is 8.2 with gh of 0-1 and kh 9-10, I do have a new 100gpd ro unit.

So my initial thought is all 3 tanks of neos..carbons, orange or yellow, and pfr (easiest sellers around here)

Ideas? Im open to anything!

I use HFM on my 15gal tanks and put it across a short end.  I have mine with the short end facing me so I can fit more on the rack though.  I think putting it across the whole length of the tank would take up to much space.

I think your right Will , also would cost quite a bit more. So I like the idea and thinking maybe doing the hmf on one end with possibly two uplift tubes, one on each end of the foam. Doing the bottoms 1/4 bare (possibly). For substrate I'm thinking FSS. Wondering should hmf be on bare end or on substrate end?

I use HFM on my 15gal tanks and put it across a short end. I have mine with the short end facing me so I can fit more on the rack though. I think putting it across the whole length of the tank would take up to much space.

Will is right. I also do this for my 15g & 10g and putting it long way in is a much more efficient utilization of space. If you have space for 78" you can get this rack. It's built like a tank and would support 15g no problem (or any tank for that matter). I found that the glass thickness of the 10g vs 15g is a noticeable difference so it weights more. Also, if you keep and eye out on slickdeals, these racks will occasionally be on sale. People snipe them up quick though.

Link: http://m.homedepot.com/Storage-Organization-Garage-Storage/h_d1/N-5yc1vZarmi/R-202251082/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UCH5ZU1lTYg

I am not sure why you would do more then 1 uplift tube.  Here is some info on the way I had mine set up and a few pictures

I build all my own racks...i like wood :) I should have the space and using 20 longs gives me other options if I decide to leave shrimping. I agree on the util of space option however with my breeding programs I think I will be too busy to maintain more than 3 tanks for now so I will keep the longways plan for better viewing enjoyment for now :)

just make sure you do a full loop. it helps equalize the air pressure across all the fittings.

I am not sure why you would do more then 1 uplift tube.  Here is some info on the way I had mine set up and a few pictures

@ Will.  what do you think of the substrate right up against the HMF?  i was thinking of doing something like this on future tanks. can be scaled up or down as needed.

its a split design which keeps the substrate off the HMF.

i'm aware there are some people that dont like the idea of a UFG with buffering soil. but I do.

(excuse my crude photo, but you get the idea)

15407368106_a6128e5820_b.jpg