White pearl moult problem

Mamashack

I got some new white pearl shrimp last week - they are in QT still.

Noticed last night that one of the new males was lugging around some of it's old exoskeleton attached at the feet. I tried trapping the exoskeleton to see if it could wriggle free but it couldn't. This morning it is still attached but on its back wriggling weakly. Should I put it out of its misery or is there a chance it will get free? I suspect it is either going to starve to death or die from the stress. 

My TDS is around 250, GH 8 and had to slowly acclimate them down from 325 and 13 respectively in the carrier water over 3½ hours since my main shrimp tank runs at those lower levels. Could that have caused this problem?

I have found other moults in the QT so others seem to be coping. I have lost 3 other new shrimp for no apparent reason, but possibly due to travel-related stress. 

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 nitrate 5-10, pH 7.8, temp 23-24, TDS 247, GH 8

This may just be me but I screwed around with my TDS quite a lot when I started this hobby. It may be that you decreased the TDS too much. I would usually only increase or decrease TDS by 10-20ppm per week. I've lost many many shrimps due to TDS swings and unable to molt successfully. Jumped from 70-100TDS to 200 TDS and became stable with less/no deaths after 1-2 months.

The plan was to quarantine the shrimp for a week before adding them to the main shrimp tank - however I now have a female in both the Main and QT tanks that are berried so I think I'll have to keep them where they are until they've both had the shrimplets. 

However the male shrimp is still alive and dragging his old skeleton around with him. He can't stand and eat. Is there anything I can do to help or is he doomed?

In hindsight I maybe should have adjusted the QT water up to the 325/13 then changed it down gradually over a month, but at the time I thought they were only going to be in there a week or so.

IMO it was probably a temperature change in combo with TDS.  I've dropped 100 TDS before with neos with no ill effects.  Sounds as if it maybe wasn't ready to molt though.

You can always take the shrimp out of the water, and put it on a table.  Take two toothpicks,and gently remove the molt by "pulling" on the loose molt attached.  Even the shrimp flipping can help remove it if you have the other end.  Keep a paper towel moist under it and you have ~10-20 sec to work.  Then plop him back in the water.

If you don't remove it, chances are he's a goner anyway.

Thanks Soothing.

The temps were matched at 21⁰ after the 3½ hrs acclimation and they were in water that was 20⁰ on arrival. 

Shortly after I saw he was in trouble I spotted that one of the new females had become berried. Could it have been some mating attempt that went wrong? I know that the female moults just before mating and gives off the "come and get me" pheromones, but don't know what happens with the male in that respect. I've seen a video on the Shrimps Online website of a male CBS dancing about the tank looking for the right female but didn't see it moult.

Last night I got the turkey baster and held the skeleton down to see if he could wriggle off it himself, but he couldn't. 

He's gone into hiding somewhere so I'll see if i can find him and try to separate him out of water the way you suggest - don't fancy the idea to be honest but if we can manage it I'll be thrilled and if not then as Soothing said he's pretty much a goner anyway.

Thanks Soothing - that's reassuring. Haven't found him yet! Will start moving stuff about to see if he's got under the pyramid or plant woods.

Was going to try and do it in a shallow dish with tank water rather than damp paper towel so I've got a bit more time - you can probably tell I don't feel confident!

Well that went slightly better than expected - I approached him with the turkey baster as I didn't want him getting caught up in the net with all his excess baggage and he managed to wriggle out of the old skeleton whilst trying to escape the baster. However he is now stood on a banana leaf looking a bit shell-shocked and who can blame him! Nothing is moving - not even his feeder legs, but I'm hoping he'll rally once he's got over the shock.

It's not looking too good as he hasn't moved in the slightest. I'll leave him and the others in peace whilst I go out for a couple of hours then I'll have another look. 

Well he's not where he was when I left tho I'm not exactly certain where he is. There's no dead body that I can see without moving everything again and I don't really want to do that with one of the females being berried. 

So, fingers crossed, he's gone to ground to lick his wounds so to speak.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!