Lighting/Filter for Coffee Table Aquarium?

Call me crazy, but I am becoming obsessed with shrimp and getting more tanks. I just purchased a new sectional for my living room, and since I'm moving in a week, I figured that the new place needs a coffee table to match the sectional. Well, why not an AQUARIUM coffee table, am I right? >.>

Well, I know as with all aquariums, there must be some alterations to make it habitable for shrimp (e.g. filters, lighting, etc.). I've always been a DIY kind of girl (I made custom lights for my 5G Fluval Chi and manually altered the filters to work for shrimp), and have no problem working with wires, soldering, etc. to get the look that I want. I am torn between these two tanks:

Midwest Tropical 675 Square Aquarium Coffee Table (25 Gallons)

Aquarium Size: 24" L x 24" W x 16" H - Glass Top: 36" L x 36" W

MidwestTropical675AquariumCoffeeTable25G

Midwest Tropical Aqua Coffee Table (28 Gallons)

40" L x 23" W x 21" H

MidwestTropicalOctagonAquarium28G.jpg

Both tanks are acrylic with a glass top and come with an undergravel filter and light (because the substrate is some sort of glass marble). Obviously, I'm going to have to put some dark, nutrient-rich substrate in there because it's going to be a planted tank, which means the undergravel light will be obsolete and quite possibly the filter as well. I have no qualms about getting a new light/filter installed. (I'll figure out the wiring and cords later.) What kind of lighting/filter would you recommend?

For lighting, I want something that goes UNDER the glass top but above the water. I want a waterproof light that attaches to the bottom of the glass top so that the splashing doesn't kill the light. There are a few waterproof lights with suction cups, but they're usually the type that are completely submerged, and I'm not really sure how well these stay up without water. I was considering purchasing just a regular light fixture that can fit between the glass top and aquarium and sealing it with silicone to make it waterproof, but then that would mean I would have to purchase a completely new light if it goes out instead of purchasing just the replacement lamp. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I was also thinking about a large sponge filter but am concerned about how it will affect the tank's aesthetics. I don't think an internal filter will look too bad, but the current may be too strong for shrimp.

I feel a little crazy for even considering a project like this, but.... I like a challenge. So bring it. =)

I'd be wary of such a tank especially if it's for shrimp. Every time you put something on the table top the noise could spook them and cause egg loss and untold stress. 

I have thought of this too, but sound doesn't travel the same in water as it does in air, and the vibration should be minimal since the body of water is larger. Plus, we'd only be using the table for decoration. If we do end up putting drinks on the table, it'd be on cloth coasters so that it doesn't clink with the glass. Considering how heavy this tank would be, it shouldn't be easily moved either. I do understand where you're getting at, though, and it is definitely one of my concerns. I'll have to look into how to reduce the amount of vibration/shock if this thing comes into contact with things that can stress out the shrimp - like an 80 lb labrador retriever. Thank you for your input. =)

So, some random thoughts...

If the water does not meet the underside of the table, and you use a bubbler or sponge filter, you will have condensation under the glass top and not be able to see down into it.

Shrimp are pretty adaptable, so noise wouldn't bother me, however light rigging would be tough on the underside of the glass and again affect visual from above.  Your best bet may be to light from the OUTSIDE around the perimeter of the top of the base.  This would also allow better access to the light, create mood lighting for different situations if desired and running of any cords.  Your spectrum would be altered by shining through the the acrylic/glass though.

The condensation and a viewable top isn't a huge problem for me since most people would view it through the sides anyway. I'm more concerned about ease of access and getting enough lighting for a planted tank, but as I was considering the price of these two aquariums, I realized I can do it myself for cheaper (much cheaper) using a 20 long and a wire rack (and then building a table-like structure to surround the rack to cover the shelving and cords). That way, I can raise the glass top a few inches above the tank to prevent the condensation issue (as there will be more ventilation), have better access to the lighting, and be able to manage/hide the cords. I was thinking of getting the Marineland Reef LED lights (24-36 inches) and placing that right above the tank between the glass top and the top of the aquarium. I already want to go to Home Depot and get started on it right now, but I've got to pack. I've been telling myself to pack for days, and I've only got 1 box of DVD's done. -.-

If you're referring to The King of DIY, it requires cutting glass/acrylic and sealing the aquarium together. I'm handy, but I'm not that handy. I'd prefer a much simpler set-up that doesn't demand so much time. >.<

I'm gonna see how well I can handle the coffee table/rack and the drilling of the wood to cover the rack. Maybe once I'm more experienced, I'll consider something like building an aquarium from scratch. =)

I checked Lowe's/Home Depot and they can only cut plywood - nothing else - which means I cannot make a sturdy base for my coffee table aquarium. I'm checking around for cabinet contractors to see if they have the wood available to cut into the pieces I need or if they can just build the frame for me themselves. I have a few in mind that I will contact tomorrow. I've also found a couple of local glass shops that may be able to get me the table top I want (which is pretty much a simple rectangle with rounded edges so my pets and I don't hurt ourselves if we end up bumping into it). This is the look I'm going for right now with a few alterations:

Aquarium-Table-Design.jpg

I want to run the cables down the corners and raise the tank up a bit so that I can put a compartment underneath for the surge protector where everything will be connected. This compartment will be accessed through a small door on one side of the tank. There will be a hole drilled into one of the compartment walls to allow for the main cable to be run underneath the couch and into the wall. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! ^^

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, I had requested an estimate for just the frame (no tank or glass tops) from a local company, and they quoted me $1,600 for just the wood part! Yeah, right! So I decided to suck it up and try my hand at woodwork. This is my first time ever working with wood and just started on this project last week. I made a blueprint with dimensions, went to Home Depot to get supplies, and set out to put this thing together. Thankfully, Home Depot did most of the larger cuts for me. I had to handsaw shorter cuts and spent an entire two days sanding. JUST sanding. That was the hard part. I spent a couple of days drilling things together, sanding down pieces that were too long, etc. As of earlier today, the frame looks like this:

20150117_214518.jpg

The base that will be holding the aquarium is sitting to the left and has already been painted with two coats of semi-gloss black paint. The 20L going into the table and my two new 10Gs are in the back, waiting for the silicone for the HMF filters to dry. I spent the rest of tonight painting the first coat on the frame. Now, I just have to layer a second coat of paint on it tomorrow and find someplace that can cut the glass table top for me! That, and set up the tank! I can't wait to see how this turns out!  :D

So far, I have spent approximately $120 on wood and supplies and approximately $155 on the tank (including heater, filter, and light), which is a total of $275. I'm estimating the glass table top to be between $100-$150, so total cost should come to about $375-$425. I'd say not bad at all compared to the ones listed on Amazon for about $700, the black one with the tank for $1,000 (table + shipping), and the ridiculous quote of $1,600 for just the frame. It's even better that the entire table and tank are designed to my preference. ^^

I'm impressed! That really looks great. :)

Have you considered non-slip material on top of the wood where the glass will rest? It may also provide some cushioning. I'm thinking the rubber mesh that goes under a rug, maybe?

I replied to your comment on my Journal thread. I moved the conversation over since I will be posting updates on the tank itself later on. But I did end up buying the rubber stoppers for the glass. =)