New to Shrimping, in Milwuakee

slobooger

Good afternoon all!

Ive been out of the aquarium world for a while, since I have been moved to renting apartments after moving all over the country for my work.

Well, Ive decided to get back into it, and while my history was always fresh water fish tanks / saltwater tanks, I wanted to do something small and exciting.

I figured what better than to do something new? SHRIMPS IT IS!

I have always loved shrimps, when I would buy ghost shrimp for feeding to my fish, I always watched the shrimp and wished they didnt have to be eaten.

Well, now they dont, because hey are so interesting to watch and see how they swim around with their littls flippers!

As you can see, I am very EXCITED!

I currently have a Fluval edge 12 Gallon (I wanted around 10 gallons, for mobility sake). I should be here for the next few years, but I dont think its right to have a huge tank of livestock. much easier to attempt moving with a smaller tank. :-)

I have ordered an eheim 2213 (250l) canister filter, I saw a pre-filter attachment I may get also to keep them from being sucked up.

Ill be starting with a small school of starter fish, and run that for a while, Ive started reading the forum and am looking forward to being part of this community!

Good Shrimping!

That is not a question I have answered yet, The LFS has a few kinds.

I was really mostly thinking about getting the CRS, as they seem to be pretty common in the hobbie and I am new, but on the other side, Ive read that they are not quite as hardy as some other types?

I also read that they breed pretty quickly. This tank will be heavily planted with low light plants to ensure I can keep it low tech.

For fish, I was thinking just cardinal tetras or some other tiny fish. something that couldnt fit shrimp in its mouth. :-( I would hate to watch my shrimp get eaten, as that was always sad to see with the ghost shrimp.... but the ghost shrimp would die that same week anyways, though I did have some breed once! :-)

Those didnt live long either though, :-/ Damn FISH!!!!

I know the cardinals would pick off some of the babies, but would hope, that that would be kept at a minimum, so the shrimp colony would continue to thrive.

What do you think? I like the red/white type shrimps, but also like the blue ones.

Now that I have done more reading, I am a bit worried about any fish with my shrimps.... and I have this 12 gallon tank with lots of space for water, and no fish to use it and break it in.... :-0

Perhaps if I aquascape it with some larger plants the shirmp will be happy jumping off the taller plants ans swimming around... Something to think about. ha.

Thanks for the input Soothing Shrimp. Got me thinking. :-)

Welcome!  Cardinals and CRS should be able to do great in the same kind of water it would just depend on your cardinals and how aggressive they were towards the shrimp.  You would likely lose babies but if you had a bunch of moss you might get some breeding going on in there too.

Seems like a simple question, but an important one my friend. heh

The type of shrimp will depend on the environment of your tank.  PH, GH, KH, and so on.  If you want CRS it will require lower ph, and people recommend special substrates to keep that down.  If you want neos, inert would be fine with ph in the 7+ range. and so on. ;)