Moss Types

Doc4PC2

I was wondering if anyone knew of a moss that looks like a lawn at the bottom of the tank.

I would like moss that covers about half of the tank floor but stays fairly short. Like I said,

just looks like a lawn on the floor of the tank. 

Is there such a type of moss? That covers the substrate, stays short, and looks like a lawn?

Would anyone know where to buy it?

I think it's called "algae" :)

I know some mosses cover driftwood plush-like. Maybe mount some on a flat piece of driftwood, lay on the bottom of the tank, and it might overflow and spread onto a surrounding mat or substrate? It would have to be a type that spreads out as opposed to "up", or you would have to weigh it down or trim occasionally. I'm thinking Xmas or Weeping Moss.

Never heard of anyone having much luck with the "Moss Ball Carpet" idea. Anyone who ever started one never updated it on any thread I could find.

Frequent trimming of a shrimp tank scares me. Afraid I might snip a baby or something hiding in the moss.

-Stef*

I don't know a moss that grows like that.  You could maybe use flame moss but it usually needs a good 3-4 inches to start looking good.  You could tie moss to a sheet of stainless steel mess and just keep it really trimmed but I don't know what kind of longevity you would get out of it before you would have to pull it all off and retie it and it also won't really grow upright.

Have you thought about just using dwarf hairgrass?

Ya only real moss that grow upwards would be flame moss. But you would need to trim it down as it will keep growing upwards.

Unless by lawn you mean just green cover foreground that stay short.

if so xmas moss or mini xmas moss can do that.

I think Christmas moss would work. I would have to tie it to a large sheet of stainless steel mesh. One that

was about the size of half of the tank, and then trim the moss to make it look short like a lawn, so the

CRS could play horseshoes, and miniature golf. lol

Sorry, They are named Peyton, and Demarius for Denver.   lol

lol, that would be cool. I guess since I am keeping CRS, I may have to switch to SF or Atlanta?   Nah....  lol

Can't wait to get my new moss! It will help and look awesome!

Any thoughts on the "purity" of mosses that are kept together in a tank? Things like Java moss, Xmas moss, or Taiwan moss, that look and act similarly. If pieces fly off and mix together, am I ever going to really have one or the other? I imagine some of the mosses are more distinguishable and less likely to fragment, but is this why people sometimes sell "mixed mosses"? I have only Taiwan right now, and pretty sure I don't care in the long run, and will get other mosses, but I guess kind of wondering if people ever consider this aspect?

(PS Doc4PC2, lifelong Broncos fan here! Waited sooo long for this Super Bowl, and now try to avoid talking about it.)

Ya some are hard to ID.

That's why for my shrimp rack.

I only have one type of moss per tanks. Unless the two are totally different.

Yeah, I agree, I think it will be best to just keep one kind in one tank, maybe a different kind in another tank,

and them maybe one tank that is mixed.