Would like to replace my sponge canister intake with pantyhose

Would like to replace the sponge intake on my eheim 2213 canister filter with pantyhose because the pantyhose just seems easier to clean as far as rinsing under tap water and I can not do the same with the sponge , afraid it will kill lots bacteria and cause problems in the tank .

I have been squeezing the sponge 'clean' in a bucket of tank water , once every 2 months but it doesn't get completely clean this way.

Does anyone use regular pantyhose , if so will it protect baby shrimp from being sucked up like sponge filter?

Thank you

Yeah, I like the stainless steel mesh over the intakes. I also use a media filter bag over the intake. They are easy to put on and take off.

If  you get like the aqua 30 to 50 white media bags, they are light, and you can just tie it on the intakes or cut them and put them over

intakes or anything else so fry don't get in.

Panty hose clogs very fast.

I tried squeezing media in tank water when I entered the hobby some 10 years ago.  And gave up on it quickly, it doesn't do a good job and it reclogs quickly.

What I use to clean sponge/floss media is a ShowerBreeze.  It's an oral irrigator, costs about $20, and hooks up behind the showerhead.  There's a version for sinks too.  Used at the lower settings, it's good for making your dentist think you floss regularly when you don't. ;)  And reversed a few periodontal pockets as well.

At the higher settings, you don't want it anywhere near your mouth, it's a super high pressure water jet.  Which I found some handy household uses for, including cleaning media.  With a few minutes of blasting and squeezing, all that accumulated gunk is gone.  This will pretty much wipe out the bacteria, of course.  But so long as it's not the only media, and I don't clean all the media at the same time, I've never noticed any mini-cycles or other issues.  Squeeze out the chlorinated tapwater before putting the media back in, and maybe add a drop of Prime to the tank.  If you have any doubts whether you've wiped out too much bacteria in one go, monitor ammonia levels for a day or two.

Using this technique, I haven't yet needed a stainless steel prefilter, so I haven't tried the ones h4n sells.  But if you prefer that route, I've heard nothing but good things about them, from many sources.

If you use double sponge filters, clean one sponge one week, and wait for another couple weeks to do the other.

It's a Shrimper 101 error to squeeze both TOO clean, and at the same time.  The bacteria can't multiply fast enough and you wind up with dead shrimp...Did it more than once when first learning. UGH!

Thank you everyone . I also plan to set up two more tanks and sent h4n a pm. I like his shrimp guards which in truth I did not think they truly prevented baby shrimp from being sucked down since they are so tiny but good to know they do.

Amazon sells the stainless steel tubes that fit right over the intakes and look nice, but they are kind of spendy.

Yeah, they sound perfect, and you can't beat the price. But they won't fit my Bio Wheel 100 intake, plus the

intake is square. I put the white filter media bag over it with these very small clear bands, that you can't even

see, and it looks good and works well. The bio wheel is spinning the water is flowing great, and there is no

way a fry could get in.

Funny that you would say that because I sent him today an extra intake I have for penguin 150 filter to see if he could make it for that.

The 100 model which you have is the same intake size .

The penguin 100 and 150 models are popular for shrimp tanks up to 20 gallons .  If he is able to make it , I am sure he will sell.

I plan on setting up a few 20 gallon tanks for different types of shrimp I want to house by themselves using the penguin 150 filters and if he can make it for those filters that would be better than a sponge or mesh.

Let me know if he can make them fit the Penguin 150 filter. If it fits that, then it should fit the Penguin Bio Wheel 100 Filter intake too.

Maybe I could pick up a couple of them from him too.

That is what I need, a custom fitted mesh for two Bio Wheel 100 intakes and the Bio Wheel 200 intake.

The have this split with the slits on the upper end and the bottom like it show in the upper left hand

corner. That looks like it was made for that square intake.

Doc,

It is the filter intake which I sent him from an extra penguin bio-wheel 150 which is same size as the smaller 100 model .  Thus he made what I needed. I am glad that he posted the pic because I am not good at that .

Yes, it looks like the same size, the 200 is shaped different, and both have the slits on the top piece too, so both have

to be covered.

That's true, you could just have two of them, slide one up, and put another on the bottom piece,

or take the top piece off entirely. You can do that on the BioWheel 200 for sure.