Uh Oh!!! Power is Out!!!

Hey Oblong, how do you go about getting a generator to kick on automatically?

They sell kits for that. If you want to save money you don't need a transfer switch. Just build a 220 extensions cord and plug it into the house and close the main breaker. This accomplishes the same as a transfer switch. Also check out a website called generatorsdirect.com. good prices no tax and free shipping on most items. And finally one last thing I see the one your looking at says 12hrs run time, beware alot of times this is based in idel and not under load which can be significantly less.

• 3 weeks later...

We lose our electricity often - especially in winter.  Purchased a 6000 watt generator from Costco with an elec start (tired of pulling those cords) hooked up a main in the garage.  When electricity goes out I shut off the main, fire up the generator, switch the main on in the garage and wa-la the whole house is lit up.  This generator can run for 8 or 9 hours on a full tank.  Generator cost $550 and electrician hooked up the main in the garage for $180.  Well worth it.

We lose our electricity often - especially in winter. Purchased a 6000 watt generator from Costco with an elec start (tired of pulling those cords) hooked up a main in the garage. When electricity goes out I shut off the main, fire up the generator, switch the main on in the garage and wa-la the whole house is lit up. This generator can run for 8 or 9 hours on a full tank. Generator cost $550 and electrician hooked up the main in the garage for $180. Well worth it.

Ya that's one of the easy ways to wire it in you can also install a 220 outlet in your garage to plug the generator in to it. This will cost about 50 dollars in supplies. you will still need to manually close the main in the house.

After looking into it a bit more We have decided to go with this one

http://www.costco.com/Smarter-Tools-7500W-Running--9500W-Peak-Portable-Generator-EPACARB.product.100053877.html

which is also from Costco. You can't beat the price! The Generac I was originaly looking at is not carb compliant with California. This will be my first project after the new year!  If you want to get fancy you can  even start your generator from your phone now. Lol!!!

Make sure once you purchase it follow the break in instruction in the manual to the letter no deviation. Also make sure it is not a rebranded apache. Is the engine and generator portion a name brand or a unknown Chinese manufacturer.

Smarter Tools appears to have their headquarters here in the USA. However, I thnk they outsource the engines to china. (Probably impossible to get parts) Lol!! Their engine is a 4 stroke  13HP 389cc. The equivalent Honda generator costs 4K. 

Can you tell if the engine is a kohler, brings and Stratton, etc.

They state that "it's a Honda based engine design." There's a product video in the link I posted.

After looking into it a bit more We have decided to go with this one

http://www.costco.com/Smarter-Tools-7500W-Running--9500W-Peak-Portable-Generator-EPACARB.product.100053877.html

which is also from Costco. You can't beat the price! The Generac I was originaly looking at is not carb compliant with California. This will be my first project after the new year! If you want to get fancy you can even start your generator from your phone now. Lol!!!

Well I read the manual, and that was no help and the statement that it is based on a Honda design tells me it's a Chinese knock off. I also noticed there we no break in instructions, and the warranty is only good for 60 hrs or two years. Just my 2 cents as it is your money and final decision I would save my money and buy a high quality generator.

They state that "it's a Honda based engine design." There's a product video in the link I posted.

I sent the company an email last Friday asking them what brand the engine is and where in my area is the nearest service center in case something goes wrong.