Uh Oh!!! Power is Out!!!

Man! I hate it when this happens! Thank god I recently bought 2 battery operated air pumps for this sort if emergency. I have my TB's, crs and blue diamonds covered along with two breeder boxes full of babies. The only tank I'm worried about are the Sulawesi's. Keeping my fingers crossed. I was sort of hoping the power would come back on as I'm typing this.lol! But I guess not[emoji53]

I have a generator just for this

How many hp is your generator? This is something I might look in to. One time lightning struck and blew up a power transformer in the easement. It took electrical crews 5 days to repair it. Not to mention I had to replace a new panel. Oh yeah and my daughter was one week old. So a back up generator might not be such a bad idea.

You would be surprised how short a run time ups have. Unless you spend good money it is a better investment in a generator. I know because I work in the security field where we battery back up products often. Common run time is 5-15 min unless you want to spend 1k or more and by the. A generator stored in you garage until needed is a better option

My power went out the other day and my UPS powered a canister filter and powerhead for the entire 45 minutes it was out. Getting a generator in the offseason though, 15kW propane genny should be able to power the whole house.

This post definitely makes me consider using oxydator for backup oxygen.

I'm definitely picking up one more battery operated air pump. I'm also considering a generator. I can also use it camping and make Margheritas!! :camp:

I'm definitely picking up one more battery operated air pump. I'm also considering a generator. I can also use it camping and make Margheritas!! :camp:

If you go the generator route go diesel if you can afford one they run about a grand more than gas for the same size. The biggest advantage is run time you can typically get twice the run time out of diesel using the same volume. On top of that diesel is more time stable and if you buy a 100 gallon reserve tank and fill it with off road diesel at a fraction of the cost as it will be tax free.

Thanks for the info Meta. I may look in to getting one for the whole house.

If you go with a whole house figure 7000watt minimum. Generators are very much you get what you pay for. Allternitivly if you have natural gas service they are quite efficint.

I'm looking at the 16K watt Generac. Guardian . It runs on both lp and natural gas. Starts at about 3 grand. It would be cheaper than paying the electric company. But I don't think my neighbors would appreciate the noise 24/7. Lol!

If you get the generac generator they do have insulation package. As far as cost I would find it hard to belive it would be cheaper to run a generator vs. Buying powere. But you could run it for a month and see what happens.

When I move next I am going to end up getting a generator again.  I used to have a small one but I sold it when I moved.  I would like to get one that is hooked up to the propane tank and kicks on automatically if the power goes out.

After doing some research I think all I need Is 7500 watt. 16K is overkill and too expensive. I just need to know what the voltage spike of the refrigerator motor is when the motor kicks in. I'll also install a transfer switch to make sure no power goes back through the main breakers once the generator kicks on. I would like the generator to have both pull and electric start. This is the one I'm considering

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Generac-7500-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Electric-Start-Portable-Generator-5943/202851447/

When I move next I am going to end up getting a generator again. I used to have a small one but I sold it when I moved. I would like to get one that is hooked up to the propane tank and kicks on automatically if the power goes out.

Hey Oblong, how do you go about getting a generator to kick on automatically?