Hello everyone, just signed up

MarkNJD15

Just wanted to introduce myself since I new here. 

My name is Mark and I've been keeping Cherry and Crystal Red Shrimp for about 8 months now. I have a 30 gallon bow front (in use) and a 75 gallon drilled tank (not set up yet) that I keep shrimp in. I'm trying to master the smaller tank before I dump anymore money into the 75 gallon. I have read hours of information of keeping shrimp and hope I can help some of you guys out when possible. I'm no pro and have been through some trying times with the shrimp. Eventually I wanna have a high grade breeding colony of CRS in my 75 gallon. Then probably I'll turn my place into an aquarium with more tanks because this hobby is addicting and fun. For some reason I feel like I need to have a few more tanks, lol. 

I do low tech planted and learned to keep thing as simple as possible to keep the water conditions stable. I don't dose anything and the plants are growing good.

Here are a few pictures.

11-5-13086.jpg

11-5-13078.jpg

11-5-13063.jpg

11-5-13059.jpg

Sweet!  I love the nightlights and your moss lawn.  Welcome to the forum!

I'm gonna do a full water test today so I'll post the results in a little while.

As for the hanging moss bed. I used egg crate and aquarium sealant. Simple as that. Cut the egg crate to size and seal it to the glass with the sealant. 

I used to have one hanging from the top with x-mas moss but it blocked too much light so I took it out. 

The baby shrimp love the mid level moss bed. 

Those pictures you loaded from photobucket aren't showing up for me right now.  I am not sure if it is something on my computer or with the forum.  Can everyone else still see them?

The Pictures show up for me.

Ok here are my water parameters:

30 Gallon Tank

Water Type - 1/2 tap 1/2 Distilled, slowly changing to 100% Distilled and will add Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ as needed.

I do a 10 gallon(40%+-) water change 2-3 times a month. Top off as needed. 

pH - 6.9

Ammonia - 0ppm

NO2 - 0ppm

NO3 - 30ppm

GH - 7 (I hate the API test for this!)

KH - 0-1

TDS - 272

Temp - 73.4f/23c

What I feed the shrimp:

Monday - Mosura Specialty CRS Food

Tuesday - Nothing

Wednesday - Mosura BioPlus

Thursday - Blanched Veggies

Friday - Mosura BioPlus 

Saturday - Nothing

Sunday - Mosura BioPlus

I usually end up doing one change a month or every 6 weeks and do close to 50% each time...might be ideal but the shrimp seem to tolerate it ok

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I switched to smaller water changes. Probably a 2-3 gallons every 1.5-2 weeks or when I test my water and see the TDS over 250.

I also changed my mind with making my 75 gallon tank into a planted shrimp tank. It's gonna be a saltwater reef tank :D

I'll be buying either a 40 gallon or 2 twenty gallons for shrimp when Petco has the $1 a gallon sale.

I can't be stopped!

Hello nice to meet ya, welcome to the forums!

I'm trying to master the smaller tank before I dump anymore money into the 75 gallon.

One thing to remember, that you may or may not know, is that it's easier to keep a larger volume of water stable than it is a smaller volume.