How to remove tannins from IAL

Hi All - Well I have my Rili shrimp arriving later today - so excited.  But, while my tank is in perfect shape for them - having cycled for 2 months - I decided a couple of days ago to add a few IAL to the tank for the new kids coming.  I forgot to soak the leaves and now my tank is a very amber color - which I did not want.  When I set up this tank, I soaked the driftwood for 2 weeks in hot water and scrubbed it a lot  so as not to get the tannins in the water.  But due to my dumb mistake, I now have this issue.  Is there a safe way to remove the tannins?

I use a Mattenfilter - all sponge - no HOB or canister filter to put carbon or purigen in.

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure they will dissipate as you do water changes. The tannins aren't harmful to shrimp. They just color your water. The more water changes you do, the more it gets removed.

Like Christine said it's not a bad thing in fact it's a good thing to have in the tank. It helps with bacterial infections and since you have new shrimp coming it should help them settle in better to the new tank.

With time and WC's it will clear up but I would not take the risk of doing a large WC right before adding new shrimp in case something goes out of whack. 

Good advice everyone - I will wait to do any water changes and then of course only small one in 2 weeks.  Then I will assess and perhaps do the purigen behind the bubbler.  Thanks so much.

I would just hang the small bag of Purigen in the water near your bubbler.  I have a 2g with just sponge filter and lots of tannins, black tea looking water I just hung the bag in where it could get a good flow and it worked great.  I preferred this to frequent or large water changes with such a small volume of water to avoid stressing all my baby shrimp (30+).

The Purigen stinks out of the package it also says to rinse before use. I was a little extra cautious and rinsed it then soaked it overnight in a container of aged water with Prime.  The water I soaked it in overnight stunk just like the Purigen did out of the package.  I dont know if it was neccessary but just to be safe.

Ryan

Well I am very new to shrimp but not to IAL, I use it for all of my bettas all the time. It is a fabulous 'must have' in my opinion. I used to just use it as a medicine/cure type but now they have it in their tanks at all times. It has saved my bettas without harsh meds or chemicals so I plan to use it for the shrimp and currently have it in with them. Also, as it decomposes it makes a delicious meal for fish and shrimp.

I got used to the 'ambient lighting' as I now call it :) and the health benefits are great!