Hey!

Shrimpinista

Great to see a new forum just for shrimpers. Here is a little bit about myself...I started keeping shrimp 4 years ago after starting a planted tank. I saw from reading (lurking) that people were talking about keeping shrimp and I was intrigued. I started with 1 tank and a dozen RCS. I now have 8 tanks and want more :lol:HA! Thank goodness I have a sweet dear understanding husband! I look forward to sharing information and learning from other folk's experiences.

Welcome and thanks for showing up :).  I know all to well how easy it is to get sucked into shrimp and always needing just one more tank.  Do you have any pictures of your setup? 

I know my wife tolerates them only because they are in the basement :)

Hi, Yes, I have 8 tanks...two 20 gal (1 tall, 1 long), four 10 gal, one 30 gal and one 55 gal. All are in my attached garage with a window air conditioner. When I started out, we were in an old house with wood floors. Not good :o ! I only had one 20, the 30 and the 55 at that time. Then we moved...yay! I love the concrete floor in the garage and how I no longer have to be soooo careful. I don't have any pictures of the setup. Who wants to take pictures of a garage! I purchase my R/O for $.25 a gal and tote it in the back of my jeep cherokee. I use the old water for watering my plants and remineralize each gal before adding it. I used to test for KH and GH but now rely on a TDS meter. We have a vacation home in the mountains with a basement. I hope that we will move to permanently in next couple of years. The water is wonderful mountain spring water with a PH of 7.  I am already starting my research to build a shrimp room in the basement. Any suggestions on setting up a water changing system would be very welcome.

sweet I love basement setups!  Were you looking for something completely automated? 

I had set up a system in my old house where I could attach a hose to the tank (quick release) and open a value to drain the tank and then I had a U shaped PVC thing that I could hang into the tank and use a pump to pump water back in. 

My next setup I am going to try and go fully automated.  I want to have overflows drilled in each tank and then use irrigation driplines set to a timer to add water back to the tanks.  As the tanks filled up the excess would go over the overflow and out to the garden.  I would probably have 2 overflows with one slightly higher incase one got plugged. 

Here is a link to my blog where I have some pictures of my old setup.