Very Strange thing happened today!

In my new tank, I found this very tiny snail today attached to the glass, just having a good old time.

It is a new tank, and I scrub and clean everything before it goes in the tank with RO water.

Nothing and I mean nothing gets into the tank without a scrubbing and cleaning with the RO water.

I have no idea how it got in the tank. After all it is a new tank.

Even when I added the substrate, I cleaned the crap out of it. I washed, stirred, rinsed, It about

50 times. The water was pure clear and clean. I have no idea if it could have survived in the

substrate in the first place. It is just inert black gravel, and the bottom layer is black moon sand

that I also washed, cleaned, rinsed, stirred, etc.

There is nothing in the tank, that the little thing could come from. The whole thing really

took me by surprise. The snail is alive and well. It looks like a typical normal snail.

Any ideas on how it could have gotten in my tank. I went over every inch of the tank

to see if there were anymore and did not find anymore. I checked all of my tanks and

not a single one. Only the one I found today.

Yeah cross contamination is difficult to keep under control. I had this happen to me in my newest 10 gal. I use a turkey baster to nudge off the glass then i suck em up and squirt it in the toilet with a grin. Eventually i got em all and havent seen any for quite some time. You gotta be diligent in ridding those suckers though!

There is no way, there isn't any moss in there yet, there isn't anything in there, because it is

brand new, and nothing in the tank yet, that it could have hid in, and even if it did, it would

have never survived my cleaning method. The whole thing is still very strange to me. I

have also heard, that once you have one, you will then never be able to get rid of them.

I sure hope that is not true. lol

Natural part of aquaria.

Shrimp, snails-it's all good.

Anything natural you put in the tank will contain microscopic critters.

Snails are one of the first things that show up in just a cup of water set outside too long. (along with mosquitoes)

The only fool proof way is plastic plants and phony colored gravel, and you may still get them.

Has to be accepted in this hobby or you'll go loopy :)

Just keep the population in check the best you can.

-Stef*

All kinds of strange things pop up in shrimp tanks.  It is amazing to think those things are in all tanks but fish keep their numbers in check.

Okay, good stuff to know, because I had no idea. It just blew my mind. Maybe if it hadn't been a brand new

tank with nothing in it, I could accept that. I guess I will be on the lookout for them and other critters. lol