reset a tank what to do in?

wicca32

well since my last orange rili died off i kinda let the tank go. it got hair algae and snails went nuts. 2 days ago i did a full water change well i would say 98% lol left a tiny bit of water in the bottom and refilled with strait tap water. added some peroxide to kill the snails and algae and then let it sit for a day or so. last night i drained it again and refilled with all tap. when i say all tap i mean no dechlore right from the kitchen sink lol. down side to adding peroxide like i did is some plants are not to happy lol. a few of the leaves on my marsilea minuta went brown and my um rotalla? is a bit on the yellow side after a good 36 hours of pretty strong peroxide. i will snap a pic in a bit to show the after math. but on the upside all the hair algae is dead and so are snails. the rams horn went nuts in there. now to test the water in a bit and decide on a shrimp to put in. lord only knows what the water is like here in town now. 

i do have the ability to go ro in this tank and the option of ro tap mixed so not sure what shrimp will end up in the tank. im kinda leaning in the direction of some type of tiger shrimp. but if the parameters are high enough i might try cardinal shrimp. wouldnt be hard to get algae to grow in the tank for them with the strong light i have on the tank. hmmmm the options out there for shrimp lol.post-36-0-08194900-1417624879_thumb.jpgpost-36-0-43883400-1417624911_thumb.jpgpost-36-0-95413600-1417624954_thumb.jpg

I did a peroxide dip on rotala repens and it died, also moss, marimos, and hornwort all will be killed from it, thier are more but this just the one si have had exp with, and since this tank is already is tap, a ghost shrimp tank would be cool, I love ghost shrimp they are cool if you can get your hands on wild ones(I am in florida so I can catch them for free) I caught about 35 and only 4 died, and most have redish hues and dots and such, also they have black spots here and there.

it will all be ok i way over did the peroxide on purpose to kill off all the snails that had taken over. hornwort is not a fan but will come back. it does loose all its needles though. there is already new growth on the rotala and the marsilea minuta. i just dont know what to put in this small tank. not a huge fan of ghost shrimp due to their size and agressie nature when they get older. 

it will all be ok i way over did the peroxide on purpose to kill off all the snails that had taken over. hornwort is not a fan but will come back. it does loose all its needles though. there is already new growth on the rotala and the marsilea minuta. i just dont know what to put in this small tank. not a huge fan of ghost shrimp due to their size and agressie nature when they get older. 

I am not a fan of ghost shrimp either mainly for their agressive behavior. Those little buggers are viscious when it is feeding time.

Wild ghost shrimp are very aggresive, I kept 30 of them in a 1/2 gallon tank for a few days and fed them and only none died and all are still alive and heathy.

If u buy from a chain store they are usally bred in aquarium/ponds because it cheaper to do that then to go and catch and quarantine and treat the thing that end up as feeder, so they feed them enrishments(protein and vitamins to make them bigger) and in hence it messed with the naturl hormones and such makes then aggresive and bigger.

Wild ones uslaly eat dead fish and plants and detritus and sometimes algae so they get better colors stay about 1" and aren't very aggresive.

• 4 weeks later...

well the tank ended up pretty barren lol. i nuked it way better than i though. oops. oh well the vast majority of the marsilea minuta lived and the rotala is coming back slowly. 

i finally did some tests tonight to see what the water is like so i can start to figure out what to put in it. 

PH: 7.8

GH: 8
TDS: 220

now the question is what shrimp?  do i get some salty shrimp and aim for cardinal shrimp since they like they higher ph or do i try neo's? i do have ro so i can add a bit to make it softer for neo's and tigers if i need to. i just dont want something that is going to be a pain and mix all the time what you all got as far as ideas go. and yes i lost my KH solution so i will have to buy more soon lol