Another 12g Long Set up...Yawn. :)

Rodan76

So while i am waiting for all the my set up to show i figured i would start a journal to make sure i am heading in the right direction.  please feel free to chime in with pointers or criticisms...though let's keep the criticisms to a minimum. :D  But i figured by posting here i can keep learning as i go since mistakes have been made along the way with my other tank.

Now to the meat of it.

Mr Aqua 12g Long

Finnex Stingray LED 36" light

sponge filter

Eheim 2213  (this sucker is huge for this tank so i am going to shut the valves down a bunch for lower flow)

I am going to trade out the ceramic media that comes in the filter with some Tynne Valley Aquatics BIOHOME PLUS FILTER MEDIA  (never tried it but they seem to be touting it as pretty awesome..anyone ever try it?)

Brightwell Rio F Substrate

MK Breed Z Silver Powder

GlasGarten Betaglucan + immunoglobulin

Glasgarten BacterAE

R/O Water using the Blue Wizard remineralizer.

Some driftwood, maybe some petrified wood (depending on it's composition), cholla wood

Flame moss, other mosses, a couple plants from han, maybe some buces later...

I was thinking about doing a mix of OEBT and some TB Mischlings and let them run to see what happens.  What do you all think?  Do you think their pramameters overlap enough that they all could do well together?  From what i have been seeing about the brightwell, that the water will hang close to 6PH ...is that too low for oebts?

Anyways, it's not like i am doing anything new or exciting, but i just love how the 12 long looks...please let me know if i am missing anything or what yall think!

Sounds like you have a great set of plans in front of you. My only two suggestions would be if you do plan to go the OEBT I find that the acclimation period is most important when introducing them to the softer water parameters. My other suggestion is to just be patient allow your tank to mature.

I really am looking forward to the progress.

That is a dream tank for me, I want a 12g long as a display one day.  You will have to post pictures. :)

I know that you can get tigers that do well in the same conditions as TBs (low ph).  If the strain you get can survive, then you're in business!  I would say buy from someone who is currently keeping their tigers in low ph. Could end up with some cool morphs!

That is a dream tank for me, I want a 12g long as a display one day.  You will have to post pictures. :)

I know that you can get tigers that do well in the same conditions as TBs (low ph).  If the strain you get can survive, then you're in business!  I would say buy from someone who is currently keeping their tigers in low ph. Could end up with some cool morphs!

Marine depot had the 12 on sale for $77 last week so i jumped on it...looks like it is back up to 87.  but i agree that is one good looking tank...i will definitely post photos once i get rolling with it.

Next question...anyone on here breeding oebts in low ph, softer water parameters?

Randy is breeding them in low PH, but he is in Canada.

There is a place near me that has it for $99. One day...one day....

MananaP also breed low pH Tigers, both Super and OEBTs in ~5.5 pH or lower. He's in Canada as well and not really active on the forums any more.

We need pics!

pics will come soon.  hopefully today or tomorrow...i am still waiting on the tank and substrate to actually show up..just so excited i had to talk about it on here...my wife hates this hobby so i need to tell someone haha! 

I talk to my GF all the time about it. She always gives me a big sigh and roll of her eyes every time I start.  I can't help it!  I have shrimp on the brain!

pics will come soon.  hopefully today or tomorrow...i am still waiting on the tank and substrate to actually show up..just so excited i had to talk about it on here...my wife hates this hobby so i need to tell someone haha! 

I talk to my GF all the time about it. She always gives me a big sigh and roll of her eyes every time I start. I can't help it! I have shrimp on the brain!

your not the only one.. Lol the only part of shrimping she cares about is how much i spend on it...

I love it... The first question people ask.... WHY? Can ya eat them?... And then there is the moment of awkward silence followed by... Why? Lol

Omg....yes! EVERYONE asks if you can eat them. Then: "then why do you keep them"

Harharhar =///////

On another note, looking forward to how you donthe aquascape. I'm looking for inspiration for my 20 long :P

Omg....yes! EVERYONE asks if you can eat them. Then: "then why do you keep them"

Harharhar =///////

On another note, looking forward to how you donthe aquascape. I'm looking for inspiration for my 20 long :P

I have heavily planted most of my tanks  i think i am planning just a few things in this one..moss mostly and couple others...

Good stuff. Any hardscape?

I have heavily planted most of my tanks i think i am planning just a few things in this one..moss mostly and couple others...

Cut back how? Or much would you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally I only dose half of recommended dosage.

I will suggest to dose one or two days per week, instead of daily.

IMG_2654.JPG?format=500w&storage=local

Tank came yesterday!  got it ready to start adding the goodies.  still waiting for the substrate which is supposed to deliver tomorrow...the anticipation is killing me.  I got both escuro and cafe.  still not sure which color direction to go.  I am planning this to be an OEBT tank so i am leaning more towards the cafe so they stand out a little better.  I also got some petrified wood  which is reddish and grey colored.  need to do the acid test on them before i put them in though...

So as far as the bacteria additives go can you do too much?  am i overdoing it by using so many products?  I have all the following but would love some direction on which ones to start with:

MK breed z silver

Lowkeys speed sand

glasgarten bacterae

glasgarten betaglucan

Also do you all think it would be bad to start the cycle with just a sponge filter and then add my canister a couple days later?  Not sure when the new filter media will show up since it is coming from the UK..hopefully sooner than later. 

Any and all opinions welcome!