Easiest way to divide a tank

So what is the best way to divide a tank easily? I've never done it and some of the things in have seen seem very complicated. Since the dollar a gallon sale is coming, I'm thinking of learning how this works to maybe divide up a 20 gallon instead of getting multiple 10gal. for ease of maintenance. I plan on using sponge filters.

I don't split tanks (not willing to deal with the issues) but on my betta side many people just use plastic craft mesh http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Sheet-Plastic-Canvas--Clear/dp/B0033P73YA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1418859267&sr=8-6&keywords=plastic+craft+mesh (love that stuff for tanks) and the plastic report binder bars that come on reports that you can get at lots of stores.   http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/678708/Office-Depot-Brand-Sliding-Bar-Report/  like that.

You just adhere the report bars to the glass, cut the mesh to fit and slip it right in.

It's sturdy and you can get colors that you want.

I am way too new at shrimp keeping to know (have yet to have my first baby - fingers crossed). I am not sure how well the mesh would do. It could be that the shrimp could easily climb the divider and just hop over to the other side?? If that is the case I am not sure what type of material could be used that would keep them on their own side since they can even 'climb' glass. So... someone else might know what would work for that??  With bettas you even have to be careful to have it secure and also watch for "jump height" issues but it is a great and easy divider set up and works great for fish if you take those things into account.

The issues (at least from my Betta keeping) are water flow (having a divider can make that a problem unless you have a filter on both sides), then there is contamination (what one side gets, the other side gets) and heating can be a challenge (again because the divider does slow the water flow between sides some what). 

Just some food for thought.

I was worried about the climbing. I was wondering if the shrimp do any jumping too? Crazyfishlady, bettas are so funny! My hubs is awaiting his from the transhipper. He has been nursing his empty tank for so long waiting to find just the right one.

split the tank with a hamburg matten filter.

I was wondering about this. I use the cubes from swiss tropicals and am about to put in a matten for our 55. I was worried that at 45 PPI there wouldn't be good flow through. Have you done this? Is it kind of just using the poret foam as a wall and then still having separate sponge filters/cubes in each division?

LOL...well I did it and ended up with a whole new line of shrimp hybrids.  I divided my 20 gal long into 3 sections to hold my tiger shrimps.  In one I had Red Tigers, in another Black Tigers and in the last Tangerine Tigers.  I had the large black foam inserted from top to bottom (actually under the substrate) and above the water line by about 1/2 inch.  Figured no one would be daft enough to climb outside of the water or dig under the substrate.  

WELL I watched them do it....especially the TT males they climbed the sponge, crawled outside of the water and down into the other sections and bred with my Red Tiger females.  By the time I realized how they were getting in there each morning even after I had fished them all back out and put them back into their own areas, I found them in there the next day again.

I finally pulled the sponges out and took my black tigers out into a separate tank, and left the Reds/TT's together, and ended up with my Bengal shrimp population.  You can see them on the shrimps pictures posts.

I never underestimate what shrimps can accomplish when they want something badly enough!  They will find a way to get it.... :thumbsu:

That's hilarious! This was my suspicion, if they can climb it they will! Yes I saw your pictures, beautiful shrimp. Those red tigers must have been very enticing to them for them to keep going through all that trouble to get in there ;)

Im running a divided 20g. Shrimp on each end, with ADFs in the center. Each compartment is water tight and seperate. 1/4" glass siliconed in for the dividers, a sponge filter in each compartment, a heater on each end. With a glass lid I get constant temp, even in the middle, and my frogs deal with any explorers before they can get to the other end

I just had glass cut to fit the interior dimensions of the tank, that way the glass was solid and a tight fit.

I do run all the sponges off one pump with a gang valve to adjust pressure to each sponge