Fishbowl type glass bowl - will it stand up to water??

I have been seeing all the great micro tanks people have been doing with unconventional containers, and they are lovely. In a Ross' I saw a large fishbowl type bowl. It has to be at least five gallons, up to maybe eight. The glass is probably around 1/8" thick. Would it be able to hold up to aquarium use? I can see it about  two-thirds full, a long driftwood branch sticking out the top with moss on it, mini water lettuce floating at the top, and of course shrimp amongst the plants. 

I would imagine it would hold water round shapes are very strong, more than flat surfaces. I use a 1.75-2g brandy snifter shaped container on my desk at work. It's made of very thin glass I am very careful about hitting it.

Okay, measured it today. Glass seems to be about 1/8", or around 3 mm. The circumference is 55" or 140 cm. The calculator figures for a flat sided tank, not sure how to divide it for an orb, so I divided the length and width by half, and the height by one-third. So according to the calculator, the glass is to thin by half. To thin. *sigh* I'll keep looking...

• 3 weeks later...

I never measured my fishbowl... got the large size at Michael's Crafts. Had it landscaped and full of water for several months with no problem. The only fauna I had in there was snails, however, since it is really difficult to find an attractive filtration or heater for such a thing. Now I use it for growing emersed aquatic plants. Still pretty that way.

d5M1sfd.png

i got a large glass bowl from hobby lobby and it lasted quite a while till the cat knocked over a decorative ceramic plate ( heave carved thing) and it shattered. it held water well and had fish in it for a good 6 months but im sure it had alot of tension on the glass since it was so thin and that is what caused it to break like it did. i could scoot it around but i did it when i would do a water change and made sure i had it at least half empty

11-26-098.jpg

and here is the little fart that broke it a few days later lol 

11-26-0982.jpg

Yea my cat knocked a smaller 'hospital tank' over.. betta and all

Side note and warning - make SURE it is just glass and shrimp/fish safe! Several years ago I bought a gorgeous 'bowl' from a TJ Max. It had some light swirls of color in it. I rinsed it well, set it up and put a betta in it. Betta died in about 15 minutes :( I felt like a murderer. When I scooped him out and tried to figure it out I noticed an odd smell from inside the glass. 

It was not fish safe. :(

I've learned a lot since then but....