PRL x TB?

I know this is kind of an odd question, but I was wondering if crossing a PRL with a TB would result in higher quality Mischlings/TB down the line. Of course I know the point of a PRL is that it isn't crossed with anything else, but genetically speaking, wouldn't that make for a lot better offspring if your goal is to get solid colored TB? Would they be healthier this way as well compared to regular CRS x TB crossing?

I doubt they would have any difference in health, however this cross is already being done overseas.  There's two theories why though:

1) It improves quality of offspring. 

2) TB prices have tumbled over the past couple years.  By breeding TB with JPL or PRL, the prices are up again so the breeder can make a bit more money.

Are you planning on creating mischlings? I was thinking the same thing, and breeding my MK-Breed PRL offspring with some TBs, but I decided against this. One because I like the idea of breeding TB x TB to get 100% TB. Rather than TB x PRL to get Mischling and TBs. Two you would be devaluing not only your PRL but also your TBs unless your just trying to start a project yourself and could careless of value. 

Why do you think breeding a TB x PRL/PBL would not be devalued? If I breed a TB x TB I am going to get TB offspring. If I breed a TB x PRL/PBL you may get TB or mischling, strictly a quantitative analysis, why do you not think 100% TB offspring through TB x TB would not be more valuable?

I think I might be missing something?

I believe Steve was referring to the original TB or PRL breeder still keeping value not the offspring

Why do you think breeding a TB x PRL/PBL would not be devalued? If I breed a TB x TB I am going to get TB offspring. If I breed a TB x PRL/PBL you may get TB or mischling, strictly a quantitative analysis, why do you not think 100% TB offspring through TB x TB would not be more valuable?

I think I might be missing something?

Well, from what I have been hearing folks, true prl/pbl x TB are higher than regular mich, and can be just as high as the lower priced TB.

Here's the reasoning.  High quality prl are solid colored.  Take that quality x TB and breeders are hoping that new variations will pop out over the average crs breeding.

Now after having said that, I don't know if their theory will actually work- at least in the short term.  Why?

I'll use the stack of cards analogy again, and although not perfect, it still gets the idea across.  Imagine spending lots of time picking up playing cards and stacking them into a deck.  Now imagine throwing that deck in the air.  Some playing cards may stay together, while others fly off.  You then need to spend time to stack those playing cards again.

The playing cards are modifiers.  The solid coloration of crs/cbs isn't a mutation, it's from selective breeding from a bell curve.  So take a selectively bred shrimp x another shrimp, and the modifiers (like playing cards) will be spread out again.

But yeah.  The idea is they'll achieve higher quality TB with new variations.

Instead of mixing PRL x Taiwan Bee to get superior colors, why not work with Taiwan Bee x Taiwan Bee and improve upon their already exceptional colors? Mixing PRL x TB as a means to get good colors sounds like the old practice of mixing Golden x CRS to get good patterns. The resulting offsprings had higher patterns grading but just down right TERRIBLE colors. In the end, it was better to not take shortcuts and put in the time and effort of breeding CRSxCRS that resulted in PRL (something much more popular now) than those faded SSS CRS.

If the goal is to have nice Mischlings..I'd ask why? Mischlings will never be as nice as their PRL or Taiwan Bee parents. Mixing them would just further dilute their genetics. The trade off is marginal considering how far Taiwan Bee prices have fallen.

With Taiwan Bee prices dropping so fast within recent years, it's also a fools dream to think of buying mischlings a breeding for Taiwan Bee (my mischlings resulted from male Taiwan Bee climbing and mixing with my PRL, definitely not something that was done intentionally). Plus.. Mischlings are what 4-5/each whereas Taiwan Bee are 10-15/ea? Fork the difference and just go straight for the goal. You'd avoid less headaches by not skimping and probably save more when you realize the fruits of your labor is better with Taiwan Bee.

I can't recall the times I've waited and counted my berried mischling mommas only to get 3-5 Taiwan Bee out of hundreds of mischling babies. Imagine had you gone directly for Taiwan Bee... You'd have hundreds of Taiwan Bee.

I was near saying the tb value of the shrimp will not go down. I use prl and pbl culls because that is what I have. I keep very few crs and CBS now a days, and the ones I do keep I just sell off to local fish store.

But in aspect of devaluing because you get less tb, well that can be thought two ways. Mischlings carry their eggs better, and have shorter gestation as well as re berry quicker. So as long as you just keep females crs or CBS Snow White of female mischlings in with all your tb. I don't see the devalue. As male tb will get busy with the the females either way and no male crs or CBS or Snow White or mischling of either will be in the tank to get the tb berried, soonlt make tb will breed with female tb.... So I think it is a win out and brings. Ore value