Quick!!!!

Because I need to order tonight.   I got home from work today and the lights on my tank had melted. Yep melted.  Thank god there wasnt a fire.     I just had a cheap  http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-AQE40200-Lighting-Aquarium-24-Inch/dp/B00893DW28/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1419893370&sr=8-3&keywords=aqueon+t5 with the 7600 watt bulb and a colormax and it lit the tank beautifully but this is the 3rd time I have had a set of these lights die on me relatively quickly .

Since I have to change over anyway, I have decided to join the LED bandwagon but I know nothing about LED lights.

Could you guys give me a quick  suggestion(s)  of LED lights I can order tonight.   I need to get them in as I don't want the plants to die!     I would like it to be at least as bright as it was .   It is a 20 L tank.   

Id rather not go super expensive but I do want decent light .    

In the tank I have 

sword plant, anubis, moss, spirals and....  I forget the red plants I got from Han, but I think they were Med light plants.

Thanks!!!

Thanks Han,  I went ahead and ordered that light.  I read the reviews and people who ordered it seem to really love that fixture.  I wish the moonlights could be programmed but Ive lived this long without moonlighting so I guess I will continue to.  :)     

Doh.. thanks Elo.   I had already ordered.   I wanted to get one asap.   I know the shrimp wont mind the dark but it just feels wrong to let them sit in the dark for days and with the holiday, I knew that could delay shipping. I am hoping Prime will come through and get it to my by weds .  

• 4 months later...

Jadenlea - I am reviving this old thread because I am hoping you can update us on this light fixture in your 20L. Are you happy with it?

Do you use it over a glass lid? Is it too much light - do you get a lot of algae?

I am trying to find just the right light for my heavily planted low-tech 20L and not spend a fortune.

Jadenlea - I am reviving this old thread because I am hoping you can update us on this light fixture in your 20L. Are you happy with it?

Do you use it over a glass lid? Is it too much light - do you get a lot of algae?

I am trying to find just the right light for my heavily planted low-tech 20L and not spend a fortune.

Finnex planted+ is very strong light but if you overdose ferts by just a little bit, well be prepared for algae all over!

Finnex planted+ is very strong light but if you overdose ferts by just a little bit, well be prepared for algae all over!

Yep, that's what I am worried about. Can't afford the Sat+. What about the finnex stingray? I have tons of plants (densely planted) including: a big sword, lots of anubias, java ferns, corkscrew vals, dwarf sag, marsilea minuta, creeping jenny. And more.

Yep, that's what I am worried about. Can't afford the Sat+. What about the finnex stingray? I have tons of plants (densely planted) including: a big sword, lots of anubias, java ferns, corkscrew vals, dwarf sag, marsilea minuta, creeping jenny. And more.

Finnex stingray is very bright as well.

Pretty much same as Planted + but less leds.

Try your best to get Sat + because the lights are dimmable.

Hi sarah.

I was very happy with the finnex light that I ended up getting.    I did not have algae issues though I did have a bloom of hair algae that I thought was just moss LOL    It is fine though, the shrimp LOVE It.  They don't eat it but they spend more time living in it and having babies in it than any of the other moss i do have.   It all stayed in one place.  

The problem was that less than 3 months in, it just died.  Stopped working.   I wrote to the company and  my satisfaction with their customer service is undecided yet.   They wrote back, told me to send it in.   If the issue is covered under warranty, they will fix but if not, I am responsible for all repairs including shipping and either way, shipping TO them was not covered. 

I was not happy at all with the tone of their response, and if I get charged for repairs I will be even more dissatisfied as  there is no possible way I did anything to ":break" it.  Its been sitting in the same spot since I got it.  

In comparison, when I had an issue with a current satellite light on the current satellite solo tank, I wrote to them and they immediately sent me a new light fixture with return label postage paid for the broken one.  It was here in days, no questions asked.   To me THAT is customer service.

Perhaps my finnex light dying was just a fluke.  If so, the lighting was just fine for the 20 L  .   Bright and pretty but not so bright as to have algae issues.    

My lights run 6 hrs per day .  

Hope this helps

I will happily pay more for a company that stands behind their product and has great customer service.  The sat lights are worth it if you have the money to splurge.  I replaced the Finnex with the satellite plus pro  and got my sister the satellite planted  one.  Both are really nice and you can customize the exact amount of light you want.    They have 4 programmed light settings.  One for high light, one for lower light  a bluer light for showing off certain fish and a purpley light for showing off different fish colors   (and of course the moonlight)    Then even with any of the programed lights you can use up and down arrows to brighten or darken those colors .   Also 4 memory buttons to save  different light settings that you like.   

I am using the bluer light for now on the 20 gal.  I found some algae issues in my  current solo tank with the 2 grow light settings.   The plants seem to be growing well under the blue setting.  I have mosses, Val, anubas, naga grass and a sword in the tank so no high light plants.  

I don't have the data handy but I believe the Stingray is slightly lower PAR than the Sat+.

I think with the Sat+ you are paying extra for all the fancy stuff. Personally, I don't use the fancy stuff, but it is nice to be able to dim.

The whole warranty/repair issues are very important , as well, though.

I had an item (not a light) that I looked at the warranty details - you had to pay to ship back, plus a $8fee, and if it was not covered by warranty, you pay the return shipping, too.

As far as Current USA customer service, I don't think they have that anymore.

I tried contacting them after their site went down(they lost domain for a day or two). They never responded to my email about how much % it dims when adjusting and I emailed them multiple times.

Try again poopians .  Maybe they lost mail  in getting the website working.    I just sent them email about 2 weeks ago asking a question  about how to program the lights on the pro plus.  (its more confusing than you would think)  They answered the same day and solved my problem.  They also gave me a phone number in case their response did not answer my question.  .  I can see if I can find the email for you and pm you the  #

Try again poopians .  Maybe they lost mail  in getting the website working.    I just sent them email about 2 weeks ago asking a question  about how to program the lights on the pro plus.  (its more confusing than you would think)  They answered the same day and solved my problem.  They also gave me a phone number in case their response did not answer my question.  .  I can see if I can find the email for you and pm you the  #

Looks like they finally fixed it. I emailed them once a week for 4 weeks and no reply. Just emailed again and got an auto response which is good.

Hey Guys.   I already posted an update on my original thread but since we were just talking about this yesterday I felt it was only fair to post here also.

My Finnex light came back today. It is returned and as far as I can tell there is no charge.  It is in working order so they must have fixed it.    No information was in the box so I am not sure what the issue ended up being 

but it seems to me they did stand behind their product 

Just wanted to report that.