Amano shrip. Murders or friend.

metageologist

Today I happen to see one of my Amano shrimp eating one of my low grade RCS like a twinkie. I don't know if it was all ready dead or if my Amano is a murderer. Has any one else had this issue. I like keeping Them as they will eat any hair alge that developes. But they will be sent to fight with the gouramis if they keep this up.

There is a good chance that the Amano killed the RCS but if you have been feeding them enough protein based food they shouldn't. I have personally witness an Amano grabbing one of my Green Shrimp and start snacking on it but I saved the Green shrimp before any severe damage was done so it is very likely your amano killed the cherry.

Thanks I try to feed sufficient protien. Do you think the Amano would actively hunt down newborn shrimp.

From my experience, if they are full and satisfied they won't touch their tank mates. Although one of my tanks which have quite a few fire red shrimplets dwindled when I put in a few amanos for algae control. Now I switched over to short nose shrimps since they are more compatible with other shrimps and they clean algae quite well.

Ili would try some hard boiled egg yolk for alot of protein.

Hard Boiled egg yolk is a good idea, although I never tried it since it seems like it will disperse once it sits in the water for a few minutes. If the leftover egg yolk is not cleaned out properly it will cause the water parameter to fluctuate s although a very small amount where the shrimps can finish it in 30 minutes is always a good protein supplement, plus its natural.

From my experience, if they are full and satisfied they won't touch their tank mates. Although one of my tanks which have quite a few fire red shrimplets dwindled when I put in a few amanos for algae control. Now I switched over to short nose shrimps since they are more compatible with other shrimps and they clean algae quite well.

Hard Boiled egg yolk is a good idea, although I never tried it since it seems like it will disperse once it sits in the water for a few minutes. If the leftover egg yolk is not cleaned out properly it will cause the water parameter to fluctuate s although a very small amount where the shrimps can finish it in 30 minutes is always a good protein supplement, plus its natural.

Thanks for the info. I have transfered one so far to my other planted tank. With the dwarf gouramis the shrimp and the fish are the same size.

I will try the egg yolk next time I make eggs.