big filter - tiny tank

I am arguing with myself (yes, I do that a lot, lol) about my 2.6 gallon cube tank.

The filter it came with is huge compared to the size of the tank. It's an internal filter with a spray bar. I modified it to make it shrimp and baby safe (I hope) and that makes it take up more room. 

I had ordered a small HOB filter http://www.amazon.com/AZOO-AZ13097-Mignon-Filter-60/dp/B005VEWCMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420132497&sr=8-1&keywords=azoo+palm+filter during another internal debate I had :)

I know people either like or dislike HOBs but I thought it would still provide good filtration and free up a lot of room in the tank.

I never use carbon in my filters - I take it out if it comes with it and only use sponge and the little ceramics things. I keep the carbon on hand in case I have to dose meds with my bettas but that's about all I use the carbon stuff for.

Thoughts?

(edited to add - why the heck do the pics post sideways?? Is it something I'm doing?)

Filter minus the spray bar

post-507-0-18336600-1420132601_thumb.jpg

attempt to show how much room it takes 

post-507-0-26294400-1420132657_thumb.jpg

good to know, the filter actually comes with a sponge to go over the intake but I have a supply as well :)  

I have had a lot of trouble with HOBs with my bettas but that is due to flow issues. Outside of that I actually really like them. 

good to know, the filter actually comes with a sponge to go over the intake but I have a supply as well :)

I have had a lot of trouble with HOBs with my bettas but that is due to flow issues. Outside of that I actually really like them.

I have two of these filters. They are one of my favorites, they are loved by nano tank owners.

It will come with an extension and on a small tank that will put it right at the bottom. The shrimp will graze on it just like a normal sponge. The chamber comes with two sponges. I find if u stuff anything else in u need to turn flow way down. Honestly it really doesn't work. I have dropped Purigen in it from time to time but I remove one sponge while I do. It's a pretty powerful filter my guess is you will have it cranked down. It's also silent.

Any questions just ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I have used these too, as internal filters tank up too much space in nano tanks. I do replace the the supplied sponges with aquaclear sponges. I sometimes have to rip them to be smaller, but it works. I also often squeeze in a tiny bag of purigen too. They work great and I have never had any problems.

I have heard to Palm hobs are really nice. My standard setup is an Aquaclear hob with sponge on the intake, and redirected flow. I also run an air driven sponge filter in tandem. So far the setup has worked really well for me.