What camera does everyone use?

So I've been trying to use my droid cellphone to take photos of my shrimp - even got the macro lens for my phone - tried a few ad on camera apps - but nothing really works. Sooooo - next thing is to purchase a camera that can take macro photos with.  Mayphly uses Nikon D80 with 90mm F/2.8 Di Tamron Lens.  I checked that out, but I think it is out of my budget.

What I would like to have is something not too complicated - I'm not a photographer.  Just something that would allow me to take nice photos of my tanks & shrimps to upload to the forum & facebook.

Any recommendations that would not break the bank, be fairly easy to use, and maybe wifi available?

You can find a D80 or something similar on ebay for around 100 bucks. Save your money for a good lens. My lens is considered a cheapo in the world of macro lenses.

Thanks Andy - I actually found a D80 body on ebay and that same lens you have as well.  Decided to splurge and it really did not cost that much.

Nope - just purchased the lens for $319 on ebay and working on getting the D80 on ebay as well. Exciting!

thats about the same I paid for my lens. [emoji106]

Camera doesn't matter as much as Lens. You can fork over an arm and leg for the body but if you don't do the same for a true macro lens, the body would be useless. Think lens when you want to do macro shrimp photography.

I also have a Nikon D80 with 90mm F/2.8 Di Tamron Lens.

Okay, just finished doing "buy it now" on ebay for a D80 - lightly used - only 8,544 shutter count. Original owner.  Who-weee - that was fun.  Should be here next week.  Lens will be here sooner.  What do you guys do for lighting?

Most of my pics I don't use a flash. I just use the aquarium lights. I do have a trigger flash that I need to figure out how to mount for my tb tank.

I currently use a Nikon D5200 with the 18-55mm kit lens. Will be getting a 60mm macro lens in the future. Got it on boxing day for $800. Came with bag, 2 lenses, camera body and remote. You could probably find a good used body around without issue.

• 3 weeks later...