traveling with shrimp?

EbiBunBun

If you are checking a bag just put them in there.  It would be a shorter trip then mailing.

I'm just going to NYC to see family. So wondering how prepared I need to be in case. Maybe a couple breather bags and priority box. I would rather not ship if possible.

If you are checking a bag just put them in there.  It would be a shorter trip then mailing.

Would I pack them like they come in the mail (breather bag, styrofoam, box) and put it in a safe spot in the suitcase?

if your coming to new york city the best store around has to be monster aquarium, i would rather not risk taking them threw the airport its a safer bet to ship them.

Flushing is so fun. I miss the supermarkets there. I will definitely be visiting Monster Aquarium. I guess it would be a good idea to pack a mini pump and airstone as well. Oh goodness I'm going to get in so much trouble.

If you are going the suitcase route, I would box it as if you were shipping it, place it right in the center of the suitcase, and cushion with lots of clothes around it. Pretty much the same thing as shipping. You just risk TSA going through your suitcase and opening it up to see what's inside.

I would definitely bring it on the airplane in a checked bag rather that ship for days in the mail.  I brought tons of saltwater critters back from Florida on a plane a number of years ago and everything made it fine.  TSA did open the bags and inspect the contents but they just looked at me like I was a wierdo.  The only thing is what you check will go through the x-ray machine.  It didnt seem to make any difference to them but when I flew with my cat they said nothing alive goes through the x-ray machine.

TSA does not allow as much liquid as I brought that time but there is no restriction on checked baggage.  And the small amout of liquid you are allowed to bring 3.4oz or 100mL should be sufficient for a few shrimp for a few hours.  I was considering this when I fly to LA this year, there are so many great people to get shrimp from while im there and I would rather bring them back on a plane than ship them for days in a box.

Shrimp and fish are way easier than coral at TSA...they move (demonstairing theyre alive and my liqiud is the water I claimed)...corals take a bit more explaining but you still get thru. They never measured liquid on me, just wanted to verify it wasnt a no no fluid (and got a laugh at the weirdo with fish n coral in her carry on)

I had full size atlantic urchins in bags they could have been used as deadly weapons.  My checked bag weighed in at almost 100lbs (it was full of rocks from the beach) they just put a red tag on the suitcase that said HEAVY.  Things were so much easier back in the day.