Now please walk a newbie through the 'baby stage'

I hope I am not posting what is already here somewhere but, with 4 berried females, things are going to get VERY interesting (and exciting) towards the end of this month.

In preparation (since having a baby shower would be a bit odd)...

- I know that the general advice is - let them be and enjoy them, so I am trying to stay calm

But - what about water changes? How do you safely do a water change with itty bitties zipping around in the tank everywhere? Mine are snowballs, so I am guessing they might be born nearly invisible too.

I'm going to try to just enjoy the heck out of this new part, but if I am missing something, please chime in! :)

I use a clean water bottle that I pre-wash with really hot water from the faucet. Then I just siphon off the top. Babies tend to stay near the bottom or on plants, so you won't have any issues with them getting sucked in. =)

You should totally have a baby shower! *throws confetti*

However you do the water change, you should be fine as long as you inspect the water before disposing of it. Even if you have trouble seeing them, just watch for a moment and you'll see a flash of movement if they jump around (which they are likely to do as they are in a new environment).

Thank you all - those are all great ideas - I will invite you all to the baby shower! lol

As of today, all four berried girls are still packing the snowballs :) Since I noticed the first one on 12-31 that means she (big mamma) has made it past the one week mark. I hope that is a good sign.

I googled and it says that snowballs take about 30+ days... sigh... it's gonna be a long month. :)

Darn good thing I don't have to bottle feed all them babies! HA! :D

Netting or hose over the siphon works well for me! And yes, you can (with minor difficulty) see the little ones in the bucket afterward, if they do make the trip through the tube. Not a big deal to scoop them back into the tank without much trouble.

Now I'm jealous of the custom SS siphon guard... I just got one of Han's filter guards (finally!) for my AC20 and I love it. I'd never thought of using the same concept on my siphon. (duh!)

Are they boys ir girls we need to know what gifts to get [emoji14] congrats.

No no, we have to disregard gender roles so that we can build a more equal society! Unisex baby shrimp gifts!