My 1st TB adventure

wicca32

A random question on a TB setup. Is it not alright to use a UGF with Amazonia? I was going through my equipment today and I have a spare one. I have no idea I think I read somewhere that you shouldnt with the powder but couldnt find out anything. I am getting my Amazonia on Friday so would like to find out!

most make their own undergravel filter. the old square ones dont really work great for this type of set up and are not good in planted tanks any way due to plants getting under them and roots clogging them. i did not go for undergravel filter. i didnt add anything other than dechlor either. i started with just tap when  i was cycleing because i didnt see a need to wast all that water running ro just to change it out so much. once it cycled i went to ro and use salty shrimp gh+ to remineralize

most make their own undergravel filter. the old square ones dont really work great for this type of set up and are not good in planted tanks any way due to plants getting under them and roots clogging them. i did not go for undergravel filter. i didnt add anything other than dechlor either. i started with just tap when i was cycleing because i didnt see a need to wast all that water running ro just to change it out so much. once it cycled i went to ro and use salty shrimp gh+ to remineralize

I am going to just use moss and maybe an anubia, which is why I was contemplating it. Had one laying in my tank.

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well not much has changed lol. have grown some. but i am really thinking about taking out some of the plants mass. thinking about it now i kinda wish i would have gone with a 10 gal. would have been a bit easier to plant. not much room in the tank with both filters going. i will get pics tomorrow and when the new additions get here. that will prob be a week away thanks to stupid paypal lol. i will also try to feed them so they come out for good pics.

i dont use tap i am using amazonia and ro water. i have a filter. i think my tap ph comes out between 7.5 and 8. with the amazonia my tank stays at like ph of 6. i think with the ro my water comes out at like 5. 

i just discovered something. i went to move one of the stones i have java fern attached to. it was a no go. some how the roots have gone down into the amazonia and spread a huge amount. im not talking the rhizome, just the roots. pulled up a big section of substrate. i hope it does not bother the shrimp till tomorrow when i can pull them and mess with the tank before a water change. i have had java fern attach to drift wood and rock before but never seen a root system like this. i will for sure post pics of it lol

Sorry! I did not make myself clear. You said when you start the tank with just tap water and i think that would be a factor to help cycle the tank faster. More bacteria in higher Ph water and more nutrients for plants to grow. Only one thing is how much shorten of the substrate lifespan if any ? What do you think?

not really. the amazonia will buffer the ph down on its own. that is the point of the substrate. i think when i used tap to cycle the tank it was like a ph of about 7.3. was in a diff town then. and i would let it sit for a few days and test the ammo and then do large water changes.

dont put plants in the tank at first. most of mine died from the amount of ammo before they did any good. 

i really dont think a week and a half will shorten the lifespan of the substrate any at all. alot of people will put amazonia in a bucket with water and let it sit any way to leach the ammo out of it.

got things moved around a bit and adjusted. still trying to figure out what to do with the pellia. need to find a way to mount it to something. thinking ss mesh and then using suction cups to stick it to the back wall of the tank.

not really. the amazonia will buffer the ph down on its own. that is the point of the substrate. i think when i used tap to cycle the tank it was like a ph of about 7.3. was in a diff town then. and i would let it sit for a few days and test the ammo and then do large water changes.

dont put plants in the tank at first. most of mine died from the amount of ammo before they did any good.

i really dont think a week and a half will shorten the lifespan of the substrate any at all. alot of people will put amazonia in a bucket with water and let it sit any way to leach the ammo out of it.

My api test kit would turn a color of green that was off the charts or th a fest week.

-Chris

mine only did for about a week and a half but i did some major water changes that first week. that was the main reason i used tap water so i could do large water changes. after about a week and a half the ammo dropped out and nitrites and nitrates kicked in. i use 2 filters in this tank a sponge and hob and both were used on tanks before this one so were well seeded. 

well new shrimp ordered and will be on the way first of the week.

full blue, blue bolt

ruby red

wine red

and 6 orange rili lol (for another tank that is)

Awesome! my next,ones will be wine red or the solid black king Kong. I really like those.

-Chris