My 1st TB adventure

wicca32

well i finally decided i wanted to try taiwan bee shrimp a while back. Since i was about to move i figured it would it would be a good bet to start one after i got settled. Well for a christmas present my mother knowing how much i love shrimp got me an RO unit. She loves me hehehe. I ordered ADA Amazonia as a christmas present to myself. I set up the tank January 9th with the soil and just tap water. I figured since it was going to leach it would be fine to use instead of wasting all that ro water on just changing it out. It took about 3 weeks to cycle since both the sponge filter and hob i had were from other tanks. I should be getting a few TB for it next week and still waiting on speedie to get back into the shrimp game to get more.

got to love gravity feed lol

1-9-201411_zpsbb72580e.jpg

1-9-20147_zps6b503a4c.jpg

I planted for a couple days and cut the marsilea minuta like this because it will fill in better

01-10-141_zpse680453d.jpg

01-10-143_zpsd93b3611.jpg

it took it a couple days to fully clear up

01-11-142_zpsf4fba5ed.jpg

it took 10 days to start spouting new leave and that is quick for switching parameters like i did with the minuta

1-20-148_zps07284e70.jpg

By the first of Feb i had more plants in and the leaching had stopped

2-2-141_zpsa67f0e6f.jpg

the growth on the minuta really taking off good

2-2-142_zps3a682a67.jpg

and my mid Feb it was looking really good and I really want shrimp lol.

2-16-1418_zps0859e97b.jpg

and this is the most current shot i have at the moment from feb 27th

2-27-141_zpsd1db272c.jpg

Very nice!  I am waiting to get some more TB's from Speedie myself :)

i still have a sponge filter in the tank along with the hob. i just switched styles of sponge and moved corners. i am not to worried about the sponge on the hob. i like the added surface area for bacteria. i used one just like it on my crs tank and never had babies in the filter. from time to time i would have them crawl the out flow but that was it. 

im using this sponge filter in the tank, alot easier to hide lol my subwassertang/pellia is sitting on top of the sponge lol and i have java ferns in front of it

10-24-1222.jpg

Did I miss it but where are you getting the TBs from?

I'll be looking to get some in a few weeks. I just wanted the cheapest for my first time at TBs lol

You are going to be importing shrimp as well?

one of DK's shrimpterns offered me a couple for the cost of shipping. i will be getting those on wed. i have been holding out for shrimp from speedie since i have ordered from him before on several times. eric let me know when you get some in and depending on how much i have i may get a couple from you as well. im kinda funny when it comes to fish and shrimp i dont tend to get my live stock from many people. i tend to stick with what i know and if they dont have it they know who does lol.

I think Wicca's holding out for Speedie to return.

I like sponge filters gal. ;)

i like this style because its easy to hide in plants and still works great. im pretty sure that is where the babies will tend to hang out with the bio that has built up on the sponge and the subwassertang/pellia over it free floating. i really wish i know what plant i had i dont know if its subwassertang or pellia. 

no they are different. i have been told you can tell by leaf shape and color. with never having both i dont know what one i have. im leaning twards pellia because its quite round on the end of the leaf where i think subwassertang is more "rough" and pointy looking? and i know this will attach and i have heard subwassertang wont attach its a free floating plant like riccia. this has attached to a baby lily bulb and some of the substrate lol. in the pic of the sponge filter you can see the lily bulb and some of the little balls of amazonia stuck to it.

Yes there two different plants.

Subwassertang aka round pellia has round shape ends.

Pellia has narrow regular shaped ends

thanks for clearing that up. make alot of since now. 

oh and shrimp pics to come tomorrow wooo hooo. down side is i learned i can not get express shipping so i guess alot of shippers wont be sending to me. i can get 2 day priority at the earliest. i know speedie will ship priority so i like that. and i know alot of fish people dont like to ship priority either so another reason i stick with people i know will ship the way i want