lights for a 10g

Ok so besides my 2.5g with the splotched carbons, I have a 10g, fish and shrimp tank, I have wild ghost shrimp in there i am breeding for color and everything, but most plants I try die, like I have Java moss that did hood for awhile but is slowly during in there, and does fine in my 2.5g and a Java fern, the same, I tried amazon swords but they died, I tried dwarf water lettuce it died, and a few others, don't worry soothing the pennywort is doing fine, but my bday is soon I want to upgrade the lighting, right mow its just a incandescent cheap hood and idea what a good med light hood is? I am thinking maybe less but I have never tried them it, so ideas?

I have a 10 gallon with the 'kit hood' and I only upgraded the lights slightly to these type of lights http://www.petsmart.com/fish/lighting-hoods/aqueon-mini-compact-fluorescent-aquarium-lamp-zid36-16441/cat-36-catid-300015?var_id=36-16441&_t=pfm%3Dcategory 

While I probably couldn't grow high light plants or ones that require co2, my plants are growing like crazy.