Acclimating new shrimp

mayphly

This is sort of a vague question. However, in your guys experience have you had better luck in acclimating new shrimp to a higher TDS or  to a lower TDS? I'm talking about survival rate when acclimating new shrimp. I was just thinking that almost all the shrimp I have I have always acclimated to a lower tds with the exception of the sulawesi. Is it easier for shrimp to acclimate to a lower tds than a higher tds? Why?

I just do a 2 to 3 hour drip and I have never lost a shrimp during acclimation. I don't think it matters as long as you are within parameters for the shrimp you are acclimating. 

I think logically it would be easier to acclimate to a higher TDS, better to have more minerals than it needs than less but there are always the extreme cases where they would be equally detrimental.  I think I've dripped for an hour at most.  Once I see pH match, I am done.

The higher TDS the higher the GH, I'd think lower TDS with GH or 4 to 5 would be better. I guess it really depends on the species your acclimating. As long as you take your time with your drip, I don't think it matters.

I'm guilty of not dripping long.  I drip until TDS match, and temperature is close and then in they go.  Very rarely had I had any problems doing it that way.  Even the new TB I received, I did a 10-15 drip until TDS and temp was correct and in they went.  No problems.

Lower TDS sucks minerals out from the shrimp, and already being stressed fro shipping, it can cause problems if done quickly.

I think logically it would be easier to acclimate to a higher TDS, better to have more minerals than it needs than less but there are always the extreme cases where they would be equally detrimental.  I think I've dripped for an hour at most.  Once I see pH match, I am done.

Because water has to move through cell walls it seems that the more minerals added would take longer for cell membranes to absorb rather than to be diluted. On the other hand, would it be more harmful for the shrimp to loose the minerals and salts which are already in their cells? I think shrimp are more susceptible to GH and tds than ph when acclimating. I used to match ph. the last couple years I match tds only.

I'd think it's easier to acclimate to a lower TDS/GH. I don't see a problem with minerals being instantly absorbed into or sucked out from the shrimps. These transports are regulated and not just based on concentration gradient. The reason I'm leaning towards acclimating to a lower TDS is because lower TDS/GH makes it easier for the shrimps to molt, which is really important for new shrimps.

I'd think it's easier to acclimate to a lower TDS/GH. I don't see a problem with minerals being instantly absorbed into or sucked out from the shrimps. These transports are regulated and not just based on concentration gradient. The reason I'm leaning towards acclimating to a lower TDS is because lower TDS/GH makes it easier for the shrimps to molt, which is really important for new shrimps.

I acclimated BB from 198 TDS to 140 TDS and one bb had trouble molting and died. Another one just molted fine.

I drip acclimated the crs and snow bees I got from Mayphly from his 150 tds to my 180 tank tds when I got them.  I dripped for hours 2 drops per second to be on safe side.  I did lose 1 with a molt failure. But everyone else was fine.  I have since done 5% water changes twice a week to bring tds in tank down to 150. I now have 3 berried females and everyone seems very healthy.

Hmmm shrimp seem hardier then I use to think as long as tank is stable and mature. I have moved mosses around tanks and accidentally had hitchhikers

go from one tank toanother with 0 acclimation and survive (which then I just toss back into original tank without acclimating lol). Grant it I would never

recommend that with shrimp that have shipped and are already stressed out.  

Hmmm shrimp seem hardier then I use to think as long as tank is stable and mature. I have moved mosses around tanks and accidentally had hitchhikers

go from one tank toanother with 0 acclimation and survive (which then I just toss back into original tank without acclimating lol). Grant it I would never

recommend that with shrimp that have shipped and are already stressed out.  

That's funny. A while back when I set up my sulawesi tank, one of my blue diamonds managed to hitchhike from his tds150 tank to 200 tds with no problems. I also just tossed him back and he was fine. As I'm typing this I have two new species that I'm acclimating from 240 tds to 170 tds. It's been 3 hours and looks like it might be a couple more until tds match. I'm dripping them at aprox 1 drop per second.

Acclimating from a higher TDS to lower TDS casuses much higher stress on the shrimp.  Higher TDS would be more dissolved solids and less water, lower TDS less solids more water.  When the shrimp comes from high TDS to low TDS osmotic pressure will attempt to balance out the concentration of water in the shrimps cells.  The low TDS that the shrimp would be going in to would cause water to rush into the shrimps body in attempt to even out. Since shrimp have an exoskeletion the swelling from water going in to the shrimp causes stress from internal pressure that the shrimp cant stablize until it molts.