Off topic- Fish Fry contraption

Soothing Shrimp

My guppy had fry yesterday and I had her in a breeder box.  Not thrilled with it.  The fry are supposed to drop through the floor and be safe.  Instead, most wound up swimming...and mom took advantage of several by having a free snack.

I then spent two hours watching and netting eachone as they would "appear." and transferring them to their own 10g.

Anybody have ideas about what their favorite breeder box is? 

When I used to breed guppies/platys/swords I custom made a "fry saver". I used what I think they call chicken fencing available at Home depot (at least they used to carry it). It was made of plastic and the holes were just big enough to keep the mommas out. I made a sorta stand which kept the momma in the top of tank but allowed the babies to fall to the bottom. I had a huge difference in survival rates this way.

I've tried a couple breeder boxes, one like you described, and one which was just a mesh on a plastic frame. Neither really worked for me. I tried monitoring the mesh one and removing the adult when she gave birth but it didn't really work. She either stressed out or ate the fry. 

A heavily planted tank with lots of moss has worked better for me, this of course depends on other tank mates though. 

I have one that is hard plastic with slots on the sides and then a bunch of the bottom so the fry can fall through.  My wife bought it when she was trying to breed a couple of the platies we had.  It seemed to work ok but we also put a bunch of moss in there as well.