wohoo 2nd OEBTs berried

So now I don't know who's the Daddy on this one, as I have CRS/CBS/OEBT/Royal Blue Tigers and Crystal white bee males all in the tank together.  I just spotted her today, and grabbed her quick and

put her in the breeder box with the other mamma.  Will definitely be interesting to see what comes

out of this one.

:D

Definitely keep us updated, would be interesting if a OEBT crossed with a Crystal White Bee!

What is the purpose of putting them into a breeder box AFTER the female has already berried? Is it just so you can move the babies more easily?

I dont understand the purpose of that either, my shrimp get wicked stressed in the breeder box so I only have the male and female in for maximum a day until the females berries.

Yeah. I'd assume you'd only put a female in a breeder box right when she's about to pop so there is minimal time she's in an enclosed area. I put 2 males in a breeder box to quarantine them once. Happily swimming around and grazing in the tank turned into not wanting to move or eat. It was so sad.

I have a breeder box, but I use it for mating purposes so that the female can BECOME berried and not for holding females while they're ALREADY berried. Everyone has a different way of doing things, so I'd like to know yours. =)

Gotcha. That makes sense. How do they do being in the box for so long? I've never tried it for more than 2 days. By the 2nd day, they look like they're ready to give up on life. -.-

Do you put any moss in there?

I know you are supposed to hang them on main tank, but I actually ran mine as a mini tank, just dropped a sponge covered airstone in there, added moss; shrimp never complained :)

Monty703, how long do the babies stay in the box? Can you see enough coloration on the babies that small, to know who the mate was?

Gotcha. That makes sense. How do they do being in the box for so long? I've never tried it for more than 2 days. By the 2nd day, they look like they're ready to give up on life. -.-

I have the net breesing box in my tank and when i keep shrimps in it i always put some moss, ial or alder cones or both.

I use the hang on Marina breeder box...large size is best, but I did keep the Neos in a medium one this time.

I put a moss ball, some frogbit or floating plant in just for the mammas to hang onto, as I noticed they like to stay off the bare bottom of the tank.  I have also used some soil from the main tank too, so its whatever is handy at the time.

I put some dirty (yeah that mucky black/brown stuff that hangs inside the HOB) in the breeder box. I squeeze out a lot of the muck so its not soggy, but still contains muck....the Mamma and babies eat it constantly.  I did add an alder cone if I had any but this time didn't.  Piece of Catappa (Indian Almond Leaf) if I have some too.  This gives the babies lots of biofilm to eat from.

I squirt some Mosuras Gravidas mixed with the tank water into the box every 3 or 4 days, to add some extra nutrition for Mamma and babies.  Each day I vaccum up the poop, but then you need to check for babies that like to play in the muck.

I usually keep the babies till they are 3 weeks old before pouring them into the tank....I take out everything except the floss, shake out the mossball, cause some are usually in there, and let the box turn on its side and slowly release everything into the tank that way the babies just slide out easy....no netting, as they get caught in it and sometimes won't let go.

Yes I can see with a magnifier what color they are at 3 weeks.  This time I knew I have blues as a couple were darker than others so I am sure its a Blue Dream/Blue Rili cross....some of each.   They are doing good right now in the main tank, and growing.