Other Breather Bag Options?

OblongShrimp

As you may or may not be aware Kordon has decided to discontinue their 5x8 breather bags and the smallest size you can get now is 7x14 which seems way to large for me.  My problem with the larger bags is you end up wasting most the bag, can't get it tight enough so the bag is all floppy and shrimp can get stuck in a collapsed portion, or you end up putting way to much water in and it costs a lot more to ship.  Does anyone have any decent alternatives?  Should I just suck it up and use the larger bags?

I bought these, they are 9x6. They haven't come in the mail yet and I know nothing about bags, but thought I would throw it out there

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231433616952?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Have you used Kordon breather bags before? 

And I have never used a single breather bag ever (I have received them though). So I am not speaking from any experience at all ;) I will be starting to use them though. 

Luckily, my first attempt will be to a local lady who only lives about 30 mins away. She does the 'shrimp thang' too. I'm going to bag them up just like I was shipping (minus the Styrofoam box and mailing of course. Just for a trail run... 

I have been using the longlife breather bags for awhile now without any problems. They are much cheaper and seem to work just as well. The only difference is that the kordon are a little softer.

Are you able to tie them off easily like you can the Kordon or do you use a rubberband?

Ya that is what I am afraid of.  I wish Kordon didn't get rid of the small sized bag.

Kordons are more stretchy for sure but i have never had a problem tying a knot with the others. The reason i switched was because i had a lot of problems with the kordons leaking. Maybe i just got a bad batch though.

Now that I think of it, every shipment I receive with kordon, the newspapers are always wet.

Kordon was having a lot of problems with quality so they recently switched manufactures and have redesigned the bags.

Wow, this is terrible news. I had a fellow hobbyist ask me which size I was using, and of course its the 5x8 breather bag. This has to be the most popular sized bag they sell, I don't understand. I will definitely be following this thread for alternatives.

EDIT: Just wrote Kordon a decent sized message encouraging them to bring the 5x8 bag back. I told them they are losing an entire market from their product, I think if we all send them a little letter via their website, maybe they will think about bringing it back?

Lets all try to make a difference.

yep.  That's why competitors are stating now.

Oblong, I still have a preference for the Kordons.  I know what you are talking about with the floppiness though on the larger.  I'm dog earing and taping the corners of the bag starting next shipping run, and I think that will make a difference.

Ok, I just found this... 4x8 kordon breather bag... not sure what the difference is... other than an inch obviously... http://www.amazon.com/20pc-inch-Kordon-Breathable-Shipping/dp/B00KZOFHW2/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A7F9QDFGXC1WD

Ok, I just found this... 4x8 kordon breather bag... not sure what the difference is... other than an inch obviously... http://www.amazon.com/20pc-inch-Kordon-Breathable-Shipping/dp/B00KZOFHW2/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A7F9QDFGXC1WD

WAY WAY overpriced.

for $30, I could get 50 7x14 kordon breather bags from aqpkg

WAY WAY overpriced.

for $30, I could get 50 7x14 kordon breather bags from aqpkg

I dont understand why you keep saying how cheap the bags are on aqpkg when they are and have been out of stock on almost every size. What good is the listed price if you cant buy them?

I dont understand why you keep saying how cheap the bags are on aqpkg when they are and have been out of stock on almost every size. What good is the listed price if you cant buy them?

They are back in stock if you check :)

I guess it's just timing?

They are always in stock when I need them :)

Wow thats funny literally minutes ago and now shows in stock ha!

It may be a cookie issue for you.

It showed in stock yesterday when I checked so it could have been restocked earlier than yesterday.

I prefer to use google incognito when browsing. 

I've been out of the loop for the past couple months. I figured I'd stop by to see what's been happening, and discovered this thread. This is pretty disappointing news.

• 1 month later...

Since I couldn't get anymore small Kordon bags, I went ahead and purchased 50 LongLife bags. I recently shipped out a couple orders with them, and believe I now have enough experience with them to write a detailed and thorough review that I would like to share here:

!@#$#&% @#$%#@! #$@$!!!