Day 32

Ugh, I am dying here with suspense.   Mischling momma is on day 32.  Shouldn't she have had her babies by now?  I started watching and hoping around day 24 so it has been a long 8 days.  

Tonight I caught her and put her in a marina breeder box. 

Oh good.  Whew..  I was starting to get worried that somehow, she had them and got reberried overnight  at some point . (which would only be bad because there are no mischling babies in there)   That is extremely unlikely because she does not have very many eggs and looks like she has the same amount as she did half way through.  I will be patient.   Thanks for letting me know it  it can be 30+ days and even up to  5 weeks.  I had thought it was 24-30.  

checked her this morning.  Still berried.   

Yep they can all just decide to hang onto those babies until they are good and ready.

I was syphoning up poop in the box today and found 3 babies.  Mamma OEBT is on 30 days but she's still got more in the oven cause I can see them.  Crystal White is next.

Just keep checking with a magnifier everywhere in the box that has a place babies can hide in.  I disturbed the moss and flushed those 3 out. 

That is awesome Monty!!   I saw your other post. I hope you get more blues that you want.

Just took moms pic. Quality sucks but she is in a box hanging off the back of the aquarium so Im pretty limited.   The blue head is something I am interested in breeding for eventually but darker. 

post-451-0-99342900-1427996597_thumb.jpg

I hope you don't mind me asking but what's the reasoning behind moving the female to the breeder box?  Just seems like more work to me for no benefit and is actually detrimental.  I currently have a breeder box set up for my E2s and it's a bunch of extra work that I'll be glad to be rid of once their permanent tank is ready.

Just to see what she has Ron.  I have a pretty heavily planted tank and I would probably not see all her babies for days or weeks.  Id never know if she had any TBs!

I understand what you are saying Ron.  Its my very first mischling birth so Im probably stupidly excited.   I hope you are right about the eggs/TBs     I would be thrilled to even get one tb

I did used to do similar things when i first started out so while i understand the need to keep on closer eye on the potential offsprings I always found any handling of berried females or females that just molt or in the process of molting to put unnecessary stress on them.  Give her some space and time and in turn she will reward you with long, productive life with many offsprings.  

Nowadays I avoid handling of the females as much as possible; When they are close to releasing the babies, their nature instinct is to hide, so it is normal for them to disappear for a few day. once the female releases all the babies she will molt and as long as your environment is conductive for the babies, you will start to see them pop up in a few days to a week. 

aw well now I feel bad :(

Sorry, wasn't my intentions but from my experience shrimps have pretty good maternal instincts; just give them some space and they are pretty good at figuring out what they need to do : )

I am sure there are lots of people with good experience with breeder boxes but I have also seen enough fatalities that for me, it is not worth the risk.  If I want to keep a closer eye on them i prefer to set up separate partition inside the tank, keep things quite sparse in terms of plants and decor and keep the number of males to a minimum.  I move the babies (as they grow out) and males out as needed but usually never touch the adult females.  This also let you do selective breeding if you want to. 

How do you set this up?  I would be most interested in this as it would be much easier on the females as you say and allow selective breeding too.  Ive never seen it done, so any pictures on it would be much appreciated.

I use the box to see what the female has as I don't know who the father was.  I will be separating some of my specialty shrimps to their own areas soon, so this info would work great for me, and others too.

I use divided tanks; originally I had a bunch of 20G long that I divided into 3 sections but after I removed one of the dividers when my population out grew the sections.  Dividers were cut from plexi glass and silicone in placed or in some cases i used Poret foam.  

The plexiglass divider are placed with an 1 inch gap between the bottom to allow for better water flow and for my UGF pipes to pass under.  I also drill a few 2" holes that i have with sponge filter inserts to again, allow better water flow

The poret route is easier but cost more and you lose 2" of tank space.

_8201406_zps22f052a3.jpg

_8201404_zpsc852865c.jpg

Below is a 33G breeder I had used briefly at a rack at work with 3 sections; it worked really well; my PRL population exploded within this tank but it was short lived as we leased out the warehouse space and the entire tack had to do down. I also did a divided 30G breeder using poret foam. These are pics of them after they were drained 

IMG_20140617_181109_zpsuzwouu6d.jpg

IMG_20140617_181117_zps6t4bt5nm.jpg

For my current racks I have custom made divided tanks for selective breeding; depending on the population size i either use the other half for growing out or one of other tanks.

_B171674_zps12773d27.jpg

The top row of tanks are the divided ones. They are basically 20G breeder tanks (16" W x 12" Hx x 12 "D) divided in half.  Only did around made the gap on the bottom around 6" long as I didn't know how much substrate i was going to use.  Of course as they were custom made they built the dividers out of glass and were all drilled and ready for me to use; all i had to do insert my foam to cover the holes.

there are more pics in my journal but admittly it has been a while since i updated it - I just received my second set of tanks from my builder and have to have second 4ft section up and running shortly.

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/1901-jumps-shrimping-journal/

I have *A* baby!!!!    Day 35.   She is still berried but there is one baby in the breeder box with her so I guess she is starting.   It looks pretty clear so far but then, its only a couple hours old.   

Off to bed.. it took all day but I count about 8 babies... there could be some hiding in the moss... they are so teeny.   I wanted to release momma back into the tank before bed but she still has 2 eggs that she is holding on to.  

The ones I can see look clear with a solid head so I am guessing mischling though since this is my first crystal/mischling  litter, I do not know how long they take to color up.  

Hehe you guys could have told me the breeder box was useless.. they are so tiny I cant see what she had anyway!!!  AND they are to tiny to catch so they will have to live in the box till they get bigger.   Oy what a mistake.  LOL

But great learning experience.

On a better note, I found another berried Mischling today!   3 Berried Mich and 1 berried carbon.     Definitely spring time even if it doesn't feel like it here in NH