Small heater recommendations?

I currently use a 25w Hydor heater. I've been using it because the size is good for my 5 gallon. It's approximately 6 inches long, not including the cord.

However, there's one huge flaw with it. The knob to adjust the temperature is not accurate at all or I might as well say it just doesn't work. I know people say that most heaters are only accurate to about 2 degrees of what you set the dial at. But I've had this thing set to anywhere from 67 to 74 and my thermometer (the kind you stick in the water on the glass with a suction cup) still reads 76 degrees regardless. Any recommendations for a similar sized heater with a temperature dial that works well?

I live in Ontario, Canada. Winter is over so it's been getting warmer. My room temperature is currently 22.5c (or 72 farenheit). I'm also wondering if I'll even need it now.

But at the same time, if I turn it off or remove it, I don't know if the drastic change in temperature would shock the shrimp?

Any advice would be great. Thanks

The problem with the smaller heaters (as I'm sure you've dealt with) is finding adjustable ones. Tons of preset ones, but for tropical tanks.

I have cobalt heaters in my tanks. They are not cheap but I got them when they were on super deals on amazon and they are great! The dial only goes by 2 degree increments but it also flashes the temp of the tank.

Some don't use heaters at all, I like to have mine in just to keep the temp consistent. I get that in the wild the temp would flux from night to day but it's what I've chosen to do. To each their own :)

I'm not sure about Canada shipping, but here is an amazon search for cobalts. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=cobalt+25w+heater&sprefix=cobalt+25%2Caps%2C189

I use this one (I got a 25 watt but then someone pointed out the 50watt was cheaper than the 25, lol... so I got a 50watt) http://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Aquatics-Neo-Therm-50-Watt-Plastic/dp/B008AGWZCC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1428977456&sr=1-1&keywords=cobalt+25w+heater

Thank you. I think I will give the cobalt a try.

The house is around 25c in the winter. But my room is usually a bit cooler than the rest of the house because it's above the garage.

At that temp the heater probably never turns on. Most shrimp are happy at 70.

have a gneiss day

According to the thermometer, its at 76.

That's partly why I wanna try turning my current heater off completely and see what temp it will settle at.

But I'm afraid it could be a large temp difference and could shock the shrimp.

How much water is in the tank?

Even if the volume is very small, turning off the heater doesn't mean that the temperature is going to instantly drop several degrees. It will cool off gradually and that should be slow enough for the shrimp to acclimate.

I have one tank kept at 80 F (Sulawesi) but the other doesn't have a heater and stays at 68 F consistently.

How to cool them should be a another topic - I'm a bit worried about that in a few months. But - I live in a small apt. 2 of the tanks are in my bedroom. Due to space, the heater is not accessible. Old apt so you could hang meat in my bedroom during the winter... and cook it without a stove in the summer. lol  

I ordered the 50w Cobalt neotherm and just got it today :) I was surprised at how wide it is but it's totally made up for with the thinness

it's working well so far. thank you for the recommendation

love love love how it doubles as a thermometer. no more second guessing with the "floating" thermometer I have in there.

I've been running a 25w cobalt neo therm in a 6gal for a year now. Mine isn't calibrated very well and is consistently 2 degrees off. I have to remember to factor in the offset when changing temp. I also do not like the fact that it only adjusts by 2 degree increments. The difference between 72 and 74 degrees is a big jump in the shrimp world and with small tank volumes, changes happen fast. Finally, the included suction cups suck. I struggled with them for months before I finally changed them out for better cups.

I do like the size and shape, it takes up so little real estate.