Hiding places for shrimps

lexi

Okay. I guess I'll get to cycling my tank when I am bothered to :P I know that makes me sound really lazy. Which method do you suggest for cycling a tank most? I don't think I will want to involve my shrimp in this because I don't want to kill them. So fish less cycling, but I won't have access to pure ammonia. I've heard of putting a piece of frozen shrimp in there?

I always do a fishless cycle, I found ammonia in my local grocery store in the cleaning aisle. If you do use that type make sure ingredients say ammonium hydroxide only. Make sure there arent any scents or dyes or soap agents added. Other than only saying Ammonium hydroxide you can shake the bottle well and if it doesnt produce bubbles it should be fine. I would not put frozen shrimp in you can also use small amounts of fish flake food just a small pinch.

If you do find ammonia be very careful adding it to such a small container, I would add one single drop to a liter of water then add a part of that liter to the tank to dilute it. I used about 4 drops in a 10G tank to get ammonia at .50-1.0 ppm

For fishless cycle, I have used Ace Hardware Janitorial Strength Formula Ammonia.  It contains 10% ammonium hydroxide.  As RyeGuy411 said, be careful how much you use.  Put a little in and test.  You can always add more.

If I use the fish food method, will it rot? Some online forums said that method isn't good because the food left there will turn bad. I'll go take a look to see if I can find any ammonia. Also, is it okay for my shrimp to live in a tank without a filter during the time that I do my cycle? I will need my filter for the cycle as well as the tank.

@35ppt I'm not sure if it is due to the tank cycling problem because I read that if your tank has bad water parameters, the shrimps won't even survive through the night, so since only one died, I didn't think it was due to that.

Why would the shells still be dirt if I rinse them with tank water? And if I used broken pieces from a clay pot, wouldn't the sharp edges hurt them? And for the coconut, is it the white ones or the ones with brown hairy outside? And how would you"treat" the whole thing before putting it in?

Yes, I think there are still questions as to what is going on with your tank.

I would just stay away from the shells. There is more than just dirt on them to worry about, plus the small tank size means more chance they will affect your chemistry. If you want to do a test with them in a bucket of water, once you get your kit, that could be interesting.

Good thinking about the pot; I would try to just scrape it on the concrete, or use sandpaper? to smooth the edges. You can buy small clay pots, but buying a larger one or asking for broken pieces at the store is probably cheaper.

I am not sure on the coconut, I have never tried the white ones. But yes, the whole coconut that is hairy on the outside.

For tank use people generally say to boil them and change the water until the tannins are gone. I believe tannins may affect pH, and in a small tank that is something to be careful of. I did not actually check to see if the soak water did have lower pH.

Then I take a hammer and break them into smaller pieces to use in the tank.

You can leave the hairs on, but they do eventually come off in the tank, a bit of a mess. I just pull off what is loose before using in the tank.

But again, my point was that you may not particularly need hiding spots. in addition to your existing plants.

What about the tubes or wood? I've read online that there are ceramic tubes for shrimp and there are also some sorts of wood that have lots of hiding places. I didnt find the brown hairy coconuts at the supermarket and the only ones they have are the white ones.