Light size.

For a 20 long, would you get the 28 - 24 inch  Satellite LED  or the 24  - 36 inch? 

Right now I have the finnex 24 (that died) and it is plenty of light for the 20L  however since the satellite is 18 - 24 rather than just 24  I worry it wont be long enough.   

Going to order the satellite plus pro.  

Don't get the 18-24. I had that from my ten and used it on my 20l. Sides are lacking light big time with no glass top. Just received my 24-30" beamswork yesterday and is bright. I would've gotten the 30"-36" version but not in stock.

I just got the Mr. Aqua 22 g tank. It is 36x12x12.  I ordered the current usa 36-48" just to be on the safe side.  I will have tap plastics make a top for it.  I was a little worried that the 24-36" light would be a little short. It only cost $3 extra on Amazon.

I'm also looking for a decent light for my 20L planted tank, but I don't need any bells and whistles. The simpler the better, as long as I can plug it into a timer. Is there something cheaper than this that would work?

If your looking basic just get a hoop that runs florescent bulbs. There cheap and will keep low light plants alive.

have a gneiss day

It's a new tank that I'm cycling at the moment. Right now, I have java ferns, anubias, and java moss that I took from another established tank. I just ordered some golden creeping jenny, corksecrew vals, amazon sword, and marsilea minuta. I also ordered some osmocote tabs to bury in the substrate (eco complete).

I am not planning to run CO2, and I'm pretty sure excel is no good for African dwarf frogs, Vals, and the mini pellia I am hoping to add soon. I'm using excel now to help get my current plants established and limit algae while cycling, but I think I will have to stop dosing it once the Vals arrive later this week. I'm hoping to have the tank cycled by the end of next week so I can move in its inhabitants (ADF, Amano shrimp, and a few fish).

@ Sarah -You might get algae with too bright of light without co2 and dosing. Either that or some of your plants will look like crap... Sorta like mine lol. I'm lacking the dosing of ferts. Go as bright as you can according to how your eyes like things. You can get a good idea of how some lights look if you browse YouTube. Then configure from there according to how your plants and tank are doing is what I'd do. I still need ferts still. Just too cheap to get them right now.

OK, cool. I may actually be able to borrow an LED hood with 2 strips. Can you tell me the minimum/maximum intensity I should be looking for?

Just a word of caution with a 20 long tank as it is only 13 inches deep with out substrate it does not take much light to push you in to the high light category. A led light with two strips you are probably in the high light category depending on there quality.

have a gneiss day