Experience using seachem equilibrium n nutrafin african cichlid conditioners to boost gh.

Hi guys just started a new tank and loaded it with ro water and remineralized it with seachem equilibrium and nutrafin cichlid conditioner to reach a gh of 6 with a'tds of 300. And i found that there had been several successful moltd but had some rilis with cracks in their heads. What could be the problem? Should i change my gh boosters?

Thanks. Most of the colony seems active and no signs of bacterial infections so far the 3 deaths that happend in the past 3 days were all hsving cracks in betwen th3 head and the body.

So they died before molting? Or shouls i provide mo shelters for them they are in a 15 gal right now and there is about 90 of them... could it also be due to overcrowding and not having enough space to hide and recover after a molt? If so would providing more hiding places work or help?

I had a terrible time loosing shrimp at moulting time when using seachem equilibrium - then I switched to Salty Shrimp and problem solved.  I think there are some trace elements not present in equilibrium because my plant tank that I used equilibrium and dosed all of the seachem plant fertilizers did not have molting problems.

It can be a sign of growing too fast too.

What are you feeding?

What temp is your tank?

How long has your tank been running before introducing your shrimp?

How long have you had your shrimp?

Soothing, here are my answers to your questions.

Currently feeding shirakura shrimp food

Temp of my tank is 80f

Tank is abput 1.5weeks old but iwth a matured filter that has been running for about 4 months. Zero ammonia and nitrites. Filled only with java moss and ferns.

Found another 2 again with the breaks in the head n body. And lots of molted exoskeletons.

This is a new batch i just received a week ago... the tank was set up 4 days prior to arrival... with a seeded sponge filter... there were no deaths... not until right about a day or two ago... there has been alot of crazy molting... and all just seem to die with the crack in between the head and body... some looked a bit old... which i possibly could attribute to old age... mostly are the bigger sized ones... i might consider using a remineralizer designed for shrimp... so far the ones that are available to me are shirakura CA+ and mosura... which of the two would you guys recommend?

thanks...

i feed only once a day... on a daily basis... could it be due to too much feeding that they grow and molt too soon that stresses them out...? on a flip side i seem to have noticed 3 berried ones with eggs... so i hope that no more TOD.

On a'side note... what causes them to molt very fast. Or how do i slow down the molting time or frequency? The temp has gotten pretty hot in my part of the world. Temp in the tank rightnow is at about 83f. Which i know is a bit high. And would daily feeding cause them to molt really fast?'if i need to slow it down how do i do it? Would lowering the temp and feeding less help?

I did dose again a remineralizer. This time it added about 20mg caco3 to the water column. So gh now went up to 7 i hope this would help deal with the molting problem. Lesson learned i guess next time if using a remineralizer use one designed for shrimp

Hello, listen to Soothing but do you see my message above?  In regards to you using the equilibrium, you still have a ton of Potash (K2O) in your water unless you did a 100% water change before remineralizing it w/Mosura.  What I'm trying to say is you got a lot of salt in your water that needs cut down by remineralized RO/distilled water.  You my ask how do I know this it is because it happened to me too bro....   Goodluck, let your water chill out for awhile....

In respect to seachem products, what I found out that works best is Replenish to bring up GH w/o an algae bloom afterwards.

***Too much salt examples, go outside & throw salt on a slug because it's the same dynamic w/shrimp***

hi going shrimp i got your message and listened to soothing... maybe i guess my previous message was misunderstood... you mentioned in a previous post that equilibrium has more potassium rather than calcium... and i stopped dosing equilibrium and shifted to a different remineralizer that is a more calcium based remineralizer... ofcourse i didnt want to overload my tank with too much buffer so i did a 50%wc and gradually added that CaCO3 based remineralizer to the water column... i plan on letting the tank water chill out till i get my mosura remineralizer and do a tank reset with RO and remineralizing with mosura... thanks for your input its much appreciated, in fact im waiting for my seachem replenish to arrive...

thanks

yeah probably messed around with water chemistry too much... i just found it odd.. as i did a small experiment... did a full reset on my rili tank using straight tap with declorinator then... then just simply added my rilis from my previous tank... and they are all fine...

I was thinking of probably doing the same with my fire reds... doing a full water change of 90% to just reset the parameters and test the GH afterwards...

going shrimp... i do have a TDS meter... prior to reset it was at 330 to 345... after reset it was at 235... i measure my GH using both API GH test kit and Azoo gh test kit... so far there has been a couple of molts that has been normal with water changes in shrimps... but i guess i lost 2 which were kinda a bit weak or wasnt able to recover... Mineralizer i used was the Azoo Mineral plus this time... still waiting for my Seachem replenish... but for sure didnt use Seachem equilibrium

oh i forgot to mention at that TDS... my GH read at 7... oh well atleast the death rate slowed down... i hope its a matter of time for them to recover and grow... so far my 3 berried ones are pretty active... hopefully those see it thru to baby shrimplets...