How long before culling?

brunoboy650

Hey guys, so I have the first batch of babies from two mothers, of course one set is older than the other by a few weeks. How long til you see true colors to cull? And I'm excited to announce I found out after coming back from a few days away that one of my saddled females finally berried after being saddle for a few weeks. Plus my original first mama is pregnant as well so that makes it two =].post-1489-0-98745100-1430079260_thumb.jppost-1489-0-08798800-1430079286_thumb.jp

Lots of answers to this one, but red cherries are kinda funny.  Their color can become even more solid at adulthood, and even more after berries.  So no wrong choice, so to speak, as long as you realize color may fool you later.

This is why some people have a cull tank the plop their shrimp into.  If at any time color becomes better than expected, you can move them back.

Congratulations on your berried shrimp! Ultimately it comes down to preference. Honestly you can wait to cull them for sometime, or at least in my experience I wait until they are juveniles or even between juveniles and sub-adults. 

With RCS I am assuming your trying to keep nice solid, overall coverage, opaque shrimp, and cull the rest? If so, be patient let them grow a month or two, and check color and quality. To answer your question, there is no great way to check for "True Color", as Soothing said alot of shrimp don't get to their fullest color and/or coverage until adulthood. At that time it would be to late.

Hope this helps.

Depending on how fast they are growing. I try to get them just before they are ready to breed. About 6 weeks i guess, unless there is something obviously wrong with them. I don't have a cull tank so i wait as long as i can.

I have babies of all sizes already, i noticed some juvies showing red already and some just plain clearish

I would wait until you have a good colony of about 50 breeding age shrimp then cull.

so just wait it out for the next few months?

Lots of answers to this one, but red cherries are kinda funny.  Their color can become even more solid at adulthood, and even more after berries.  So no wrong choice, so to speak, as long as you realize color may fool you later.

This is why some people have a cull tank the plop their shrimp into.  If at any time color becomes better than expected, you can move them back.

Ive noticed that the fire reds I had purchased before were orange in color, after the two got berried, i noticed they became more red. I honestly only have this one tank 35 gallon and was going to give what i think isn't up to par to a friend who has an empty planted tank. I guess i should start another tank lol

Congratulations on your berried shrimp! Ultimately it comes down to preference. Honestly you can wait to cull them for sometime, or at least in my experience I wait until they are juveniles or even between juveniles and sub-adults. 

With RCS I am assuming your trying to keep nice solid, overall coverage, opaque shrimp, and cull the rest? If so, be patient let them grow a month or two, and check color and quality. To answer your question, there is no great way to check for "True Color", as Soothing said alot of shrimp don't get to their fullest color and/or coverage until adulthood. At that time it would be to late.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!, its exciting to have females getting berried. too bad my CRS doesn't want to breed =(. My babies range in age of a 3 to 6 weeks. some way larger than others. I am trying to keep the best orange/red colors I can get and get rid of the clear ones. full adulthood is how many weeks/months? My understanding on RCS is that they can all have babies of higher quality right? so even if i had a Cherry in there with my fire red, the babies can still come out fire red?

I seen really big clutches hang out like that but then they do a little adjusting and tuck in the stragglers. 

As for culling I would focus on males since the females are your bread and butter of a colony. I would wait till they reach breeding age and you can watch the males doing the mating dance then scoop out any clear unwanted males.

• 2 weeks later...