Which Rack for Shrimp?

Hey ShrimpSpot!

I have been going back and forth on purchasing a rack for quite sometime. I think I am to a point where I am willing to spend the money for a quality rack or two.

1) If you had between $200-$400 to spend per rack, what quality rack would you suggest and why? 

2) On alot of heavy-duty quality racks I notice they use steel grading for shelves, obviously better than particle board for weight. But would you put a pieces of particle board on top of the steel grading or just simply put aquarium mats on the steel grading prior to adding your shrimp tanks?

Thank you all for your help!

I definitely like the shelving from Uline. Have you used these before? How is the quality, would you recommend extra supports on this, or is it substantially stable on its own?

Pictures are very useful to me.

I definitely like the shelving from Uline. Have you used these before? How is the quality, would you recommend extra supports on this, or is it substantially stable on its own?

Pictures are very useful to me.

Yes I use the 72Lx72Hx18D 4 shelf unit. I also use the particleboard (which people freak out about) but if your tanks are the same same width as the shelf the weight is mostly on the shelving not the open space of the particleboard.  I've had it for years this way and there is no warping or anything. 

I have 2 supports on each shelf. probably not needed but why not.  I also used some L brackets to bolt it to the wall for extra stability. 

found the link to the unit i'm using on my newest rack.

http://www.eshelvingstore.com/p-669-series-300b-extra-heavy-duty-boltless-shelving.aspx

3B3-7218-72LHR - 2,000lbs a shelf laminated board decking.

That sounds great! Would you mind sharing a few pictures for me, when you get the chance? I am not sure what I will do, I was thinking x3 11.4g Mr. Aqua aquariums length wise on each shelf. I am not a fan of the verticle (I know it saves space) aquariums on racks.

That sounds great! Would you mind sharing a few pictures for me, when you get the chance? I am not sure what I will do, I was thinking x3 11.4g Mr. Aqua aquariums length wise on each shelf. I am not a fan of the verticle (I know it saves space) aquariums on racks.

if you are set on specific size tanks, pick a shelf that fits them in the orientation you want to place them.

I was looking at this particular model: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-77-in-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-Steel-Commercial-Shelving-Unit-ERZ782478W-4/202251082

Seems it would fit four side by side. Just not sure if I should get particle board and then lay aquariums mats on them.

I was looking at this particular model: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-77-in-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-Steel-Commercial-Shelving-Unit-ERZ782478W-4/202251082

Seems it would fit four side by side. Just not sure if I should get particle board and then lay aquariums mats on them.

perfectly decent shelf. most people just replace the wire with plywood.  I dont see the reason to use aquarium mats.

Would you not use the wire and particle board, added support?

Would you not use the wire and particle board, added support?

i'm not sure if the board on top of the shelf will even touch the wire. so would be worthless to use both. if you are going to get that shelf from home depot just pick up some plywood while you are there. have them cut to size.  

I think it also depends on the kind of rack.  I do mine length way as well.  I also put 6 tanks per shelf back to back

post-2-0-89264400-1431027663_thumb.jpg

You can see that the board actually sits on the top of the wire in my case, so for extra strength I extend it out over the arms. (Ignore the mess.)

post-2-0-39287600-1431027663_thumb.jpg

The weak spot doing it this way is that the most weight is in the middle of the board.  So, 600+ lbs does cause it to sag a little, but the wire is a nice reinforcement.  If I were to put the tanks width ways, there would probably be less sag since the arms would take most of the weight directly.  As it is, the arms take only the front weight .  However, I accept this since I like to see the entire view for selective breeding.  So, I adjust my water level as needed per tank due to any slope.

I also drill some holes in the board and zip tie the wire to it.  Since the wire (is supposed to) sit in L channels, the wire helps to keep the boards from moving.

Thank you Bryce! Definitely helps illustrate your point. I am hoping to get the 2000lb per shelf rack, which has the wire rack, then add the board on top, and aquarium mats thereafter. I thing x4 11.4g Mr. Aqua aquariums will work really well on each shelf since the unit I was looking at is 78 inches in length.

After reading this I returned the rack I ordered. I like the one you linked to and I may end up getting the same one. I saw it set up at the HD store and it looks super heavy duty. But after reading all the reviews it sounds like a crap shoot. Some of the reviews are saying that it bows at half capacity. I would definitely add crossmembers and gussets if possible and go with the plywood decking. I may pick it up this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mayphly are you referring to the Husky or Uline? If the Husky, please let me know what you think!

mayphly - you are correct. i've seen a few have slight bows in them.  but these are also loaded with tanks. blue crown has one shelf out of the 4 shelvess per 4 units they have with a slight bend in it.  they have 3 - 22G tanks per shelf.