GH is 4

PH is 6 to 6.3

KH 0

TDS 115

Temp 24

Substrate is ADA Amazonia

Sponge filter plus squaclear hang on filter 

Tank was set up for about 1.5 years

It is a 40 gallon tank divided into 2 sections.

Shrimps are Taiwan bee and Panda Red.

Hope to get some guidiance here......

How low is your survival rate approx? Do you ever see any issues with the adults? When shrimp berry and release babies do they look like full clutches or are the clutches smaller than they used to be? Has the amount of berried females reduced that you notice? If they are holding full clutches and release do you see large amounts of babies and then they dissappear?

How low is your survival rate approx? Do you ever see any issues with the adults? When shrimp berry and release babies do they look like full clutches or are the clutches smaller than they used to be? Has the amount of berried females reduced that you notice? If they are holding full clutches and release do you see large amounts of babies and then they dissappear?

The survival rate is less than 10%

Adults are not very active. A lot of time they just stand still not moving.

Some females have full clutches but some don't.

I usually see a lot of babies but become less and less in a few days....

What's your water change procedure?

What's your feeding routine?

Do you have plants and moss for the babies to graze on?

What makes you say the adults are not in "top condition"?

Water change once a week for approx 15%

They do not eat commercial food at all. I feed snowflake food and they pick on them occassionally.

I have some moss in the tank. Not a lot but enough.

The adult are not active and do not eat commercial food so I say they are not in top condition.

Yeah that is strange that they barely touch snowflake, my shrimp graze on leaf litter and bio film all day but when I put Bacter AE, Snowflake, MK Cheeseburger any CSF food or any other commercial shrimp food they go nuts trying to eat it. 

The survival rate is less than 10%

Adults are not very active. A lot of time they just stand still not moving.

Some females have full clutches but some don't.

I usually see a lot of babies but become less and less in a few days....

Sounds like your water is polluted and very likely caused by dirty substrate.

What food (other than snowflake) are you feeding and how often?

Sounds like your water is polluted and very likely caused by dirty substrate.

What food (other than snowflake) are you feeding and how often?

I tried different types of shrimp food such as Benibachi, Mosura, Dennerle etc......Also powder baby foods as well. 

I use feeding dish so the food usually do not do to the substrate.I end up have to siphon them out in most cases.

"They do not eat commercial food at all. I feed snowflake food and they pick on them occassionally."

Bro, if they're not tearing up the snowflake fast..   You got a water quality problem...

Run a full bank of testing on the water more than once for each test to get a realistic average.

Also, listen to Eric above!

I finally did a full water test. I went out and bought new test kits and digital equipment

Readings from the brand new pinpoint monitor:

PH 5.9

TDS 120

Temp 23c

Reading from brand new Nutrifin test kits:

GH 3

KH 0

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

All reading s seems to be in line to keep Taiwan bee.......

Am I missing anything?

3dGH? That's sounds pretty low, mate.

My GH was used t be 6. At that time, the PRL baby survival rate was almost zero. I was told the GH was too high s the babies couldn't moult properly.

And was told to reduce GH to around 3. 

Am I doing something wrong?

I agree w/you.

On the other hand, glad you listened & tested it this will save you aggravation later.. Oh, I keep my temp @ 72.

23c is equivalent to 73f...... you keep your temp at 72 which is 1degree f different. Does it make a different?

My GH was used t be 6. At that time, the PRL baby survival rate was almost zero. I was told the GH was too high s the babies couldn't moult properly.

And was told to reduce GH to around 3. 

Am I doing something wrong?

23c is equivalent to 73f...... you keep your temp at 72 which is 1degree f different. Does it make a different?

Who sabotage you by telling you low GH will increase baby survival? -_____-" Every renowned breeder I know are breeding the shrimp in 5 to 6dGH. Baby moulting problem is more of they do not have enough nutrients, instead of too much nutrients.

By the way, 1 degree temperature is not going to make a huge different. 24C is fine. I keep mine between 25 to 26C. 

Almost forgot that I wrote an article to analyse the death of baby shrimp: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/pages/how-to-analyse-low-shrimplet-survival-rate

However for your issue, you will need to fix the following problem first before the article will work:

1. Increase GH to 6dGH. Increasing GH does not stress shrimp too much. Hence, you could increase 1dGH every 2 to 3 days.
  2. You need to dose trace nutrients into the water column and supplement their diet too.
  3. Ensure the water is really clean; your problem sounds a bit like water pollution but can't be sure. If you are not sure, you could perform a water restart according to my this article (except you will have to use whatever equivalent product you are using instead): http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/pages/water-restarting-procedure

Almost forgot that I wrote an article to analyse the death of baby shrimp: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/pages/how-to-analyse-low-shrimplet-survival-rate

However for your issue, you will need to fix the following problem first before the article will work:

1. Increase GH to 6dGH. Increasing GH does not stress shrimp too much. Hence, you could increase 1dGH every 2 to 3 days.
  2. You need to dose trace nutrients into the water column and supplement their diet too.
  3. Ensure the water is really clean; your problem sounds a bit like water pollution but can't be sure. If you are not sure, you could perform a water restart according to my this article (except you will have to use whatever equivalent product you are using instead): http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/pages/water-restarting-procedure

Definitely agree!

When I first joined this forums, many people had low survival rates for babies and feared the same would happen to me. I followed Shrimpy Daddy's dosing and I have over 40 babies around 2-3 weeks old now and growing strong with very beautiful coloration.

Who sabotage you by telling you low GH will increase baby survival? -_____-" Every renowned breeder I know are breeding the shrimp in 5 to 6dGH. Baby moulting problem is more of they do not have enough nutrients, instead of too much nutrients.

By the way, 1 degree temperature is not going to make a huge different. 24C is fine. I keep mine between 25 to 26C. 

2 person told me to drop GH to 3. One is one of sponsor in this forum. The other is a breeder in Taiwan who has a Facebook page and exports his own PRL line to all over the world. They both experienced shrimps breeder. Both said PRL's shell is thicker than CRS so it is harder for the babies to moult. Lower GH will make it easier for them. I had GH 6 before and the baby survival rate was almost zero. When I drop it to 3, I have about 30-40% survivors.

Thank you very much. I'll definately read the article tonight.

Definitely agree!

When I first joined this forums, many people had low survival rates for babies and feared the same would happen to me. I followed Shrimpy Daddy's dosing and I have over 40 babies around 2-3 weeks old now and growing strong with very beautiful coloration.

Thanks! It good to know it worked for you. I'll read and try it out.

Not really, just giving you my temp but 72 works well for me.

Thanks! I just afraid it makes a lot of difference......