Watch my shrimp sniff out food!!

Yesterday I threw some leftover Rainys Shrimp Biscuits (I haven't seen her around in years so these things are old) into my CRS tank and they floated.  I started feeding my other shrimp and within 5 minutes I noticed a stream of shrimp going up one of the corners of my tank with about a dozen hanging onto it.  They looked like a little trail of ants only going up the side of the tank.  I tried to replicate the feat.  It didn't happen exactly the same this time but you can see they can tell when I add food and start swimming around to find it.

Just a note if you just post the youtube link (not the embedded one just the one that starts with http) it will automatically embed it for you like mine above :)

I haven't cleaned that glass in a long time.  When I do clean it I use an old Scotch‑Brite Dobie or a metal algae scrapper (basically a dull razorblade).  All my tanks are glass so I don't have to worry about scratching it nearly as much as acrylic.  I may also not feed my shrimp enough so they work harder ;).

Are they actually diatoms (which I think are usually brown) or is it green spot algae which take some scrubbing to remove. 

I get little specks that are kind of greenish-brownish. It's just enough to blur the view. I have ramshorns in all the tanks and I've used a toothbrush as well as extra filter sponge to clean (they all work to a certain extent, but don't get everything... especially near the substrate line). The sponges I got from Angels Plus, and were billed as good for cleaning as well as using in my filters. They do work until I get to the most stubborn bits.

As for tanks, I have 3 glass tanks and 2 acrylic. The silly algae don't want to come off either surface. :P I'll have to try a razor blade on the glass. I don't think that would be safe for the acrylic.

Very cool, when I fed the shrimp in my Fluval Spec 2 the other day they did the ants marching thing. There is a rock in the tank and I usually drop the food right in front of it. About 5 shrimp came marching out from behind the rock single file.