How do u grow this algae?

post-473-14323895072_thumb.jpg

Hi guys i wouls like to know how could u cultivate this type of algae. I have heard alot of breedera in asia have had quite a bit of success in breeding shrimp using this algae as the primary food source for shrimps. It doesnt look like hair algae nor cladophora. Any insights from the shrimp gurus?

Thanks

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1432389403496.jpg

Hi guys i wouls like to know how could u cultivate this type of algae. I have heard alot of breedera in asia have had quite a bit of success in breeding shrimp using this algae as the primary food source for shrimps. It doesnt look like hair algae nor cladophora. Any insights from the shrimp gurus?

Thanks

That's Rhizoclonium.

In order to grow this algae, you need the following condition:

1. Very high light intensity. This is very important.
  2. Slow water flow. This algae does not have any mechanism to hook on surface, thus the water flow can't be too strong.
  3. Rough surface. Rough rock surface is good. Do not cover the rock with plant.
  4. Medium PO4 (1.5 to 2ppm)
  5. Moderate NO3 (10 to 15ppm). If too much, you will get GSA on the rock surface instead.
  6. Moderate Potassium (10 to 20ppm)
  7. Well cycled tank. Do not try to grow it when the tank is not stable, or else spirogyra will grow instead.

Do note that shrimp does not eat this sort of algae. But they do like to pick on the microbes and plankton living in the algae.