Marimo balls

I have some marimo balls coming next week.  How should I treat them?  Rinse them?  Soak them?  With what?

What about parasites?

I don't know. Just wouldn't want to introduce any hitchhikers into my new shtimp tank.

You are right to be cautious about what you are putting in your shrimp tanks.

At the very least, rinse several times and put in an unshrimped tank for a few days.

I am fairly new to aquatic plants, so I am not sure the best answer to your question.

Alum takes care of snails.

Potassium permanganate can also be used, can't remember what all that will nuke.

Hydra can also come in on plants, and I may have gotten them from a marimo that I got from LFS. I did not treat mine before putting in the tank. I did at least quarantine it for a few days to see if anything did show up.

Planaria are another common shrimp tank pest; not sure if they come in on plants?

I'm not too concerned about snails. Planaria, hydra, leeches...those are the ones I'd like to avoid. The ones I'm getting were pretty cheap and small. Some place in Cali.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I just want to report that I had to make a mass emergency exodus from one tank to another because one of my marimo balls started to rot. I had some unusual casualties, all parameters were ideal. I decided to siphon and that's when I noticed the foul rotten stench coming from it. No more marimo balls for me.

Guys I just want to report that I had to make a mass emergency exodus from one tank to another because one of my marimo balls started to rot. I had some unusual casualties, all parameters were ideal. I decided to siphon and that's when I noticed the foul rotten stench coming from it. No more marimo balls for me.

Ugh - this makes me want to pull all mine out.

Were there any external signs of rotting, or was it all from the inside?

that is crazy! did you take it out of the tank and rinse it under water? they do need maintenance weekly to stay healthy. sometimes the light burns the algae and they die from the inside out, hence the rotting smell. which sucks! they are so pretty when maintained.