buffering substrate

but could you technically cover it?  Maybe something could be rigged so the sand didnt fall through.. like buffering substrate, mesh then sand..  I guess it would be hard to plant  plants...

Use a ugf with buffering sub. on the bottom then plastic mesh with sand on top.

In one of my tanks I have lava rock on the bottom, the ugf draws water through the lava then there's mesh on top and buffering substrate on top so it's a similar method. The sand could be too small though and limit flow too much but if your ugf covered the whole bottom of the tank I don't think it would be a problem

hmmm that is a thought Den.  I think you might be right about sand clogging the UGF but  Ill give it some thought.   I just think those buffering substrates are all so ugly.    Someone should invent some pretty buffering substrate

Finally considering an active soil huh? I think you will find that you will have a much higher survival rate of baby shrimp if you do. Controsoil isnt too ugly if you like black. Especially if you add some plants and driftwood. You could go for a natural look.

post-471-0-05133300-1433038082_thumb.jpg

Shrimpscales yes I am. I am thinking of doing over the whole tank.     The parameters all seem fine but no babies are surviving.    And it has to be an issue right after birth because babies that I have ordered survive and they are not really that old.  Ive gotten some really tiny ones.   

It will be interesting to see if I end up having the same issue in the  Ghost bee tank .  

Jaden, I was having an issue with no surviving babies as well they were disappearing by about 7 days. Turns out when I lowered my hardness down to about 4 with TDS around 140 bang, babies are living.

My GH is 4-5  (so hard to tell how green green is on the test hehe) and tds is 147.    Although admittedly the past few weeks with the hot weather and fans on the tank things are going up and down with evaporation.   The babies were not surviving before the hot weather hit though.