Biofilm ( what is it? )

mayphly

I know us shrimpers use this word all the time without really understanding what it is or how it's produced. Here is a small snippet from an article which was put together by Byron in 2011 which explains it well. I hope he doesn't mind me sharring it here. Afterall we can all benefit from each other. Or, as Soothing always says " We all need to help each other my friend."

"Heterotrophic bacteria cannot synthesize their own food so they need organic material such as fish waste, dead bacteria, fish and plant matter, etc., and while some are aerobic, many are facultative anaerobes, meaning that they can survive in either the presence or absence of free oxygen. Anaerobes are organisms that do not require free oxygen for growth. This has significant consequences in aquaria."

"The nitrogen cycle bacteria in aquaria are lithotrophic; the word comes from the Greek lithos [= rock] and troph [= consumer], so literally it means “rock eater.” Realistically, it means these bacteria colonize surfaces. The scientific processes that cause this may most simply be described as the bacteria being pulled from the water by several actions occurring on the surfaces. Bacteria are sticky; they exude protein coatings that allow them to build up into a slimy film that we term a biofilm. These also attract and bind fungi and algae. Snails, shrimp and fish seen grazing these mats are feeding on the countless microscopic creatures and algae that live there. But this is not their most important function; these biofilms are absolutely essential to a healthy aquarium because of the bacteria they contain."

Nice post.

So if we want to increase faster the biofilm in shrimp tanks , how can we do ?

AE has been what many of us have used, however it sounds as if any powdered food can be used since the bacteria can process it.

You can add a bacteria product like GlasGarten Bacter AE or Mosura BT-9

These are the water parameters for optimal biofilm growth.

77-86° F (25-30° C).

pH 7.3-8.0

Dissolved oxygen higher than 80% saturation.

Trace phosphate and micros

Yes i know that we can found products....

But i dont want to buy them ... :)

Is there a physical way to create a good biofilm ?

I think wiht snails and food we can make a good base for biofilm.

In the past I have used a small piece of store bought shrimp in my filter and a ton of plants. As long as you keep your PH and temps up like Chiumanfu stated you tank will be cycled within a month or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the past I have used a small piece of store bought shrimp in my filter and a ton of plants. As long as you keep your PH and temps up like Chiumanfu stated you tank will be cycled within a month or two.

Can you explain this?

I dont want the info of biofilm, for prepare a new tank, i want it for sullawesi srhimps, because they dont eat any food...

The store bought shrimp is what I used as my source for starting the nitrogen cycle in a new tank. I did this a long time ago and it worked. I didn't have to buy anything. It was just some left over bait that I had from a fishing trip. Once the cycle is complete your shrimp will have tons of bacteria to feed on regardless of the type of shrimp. My Sulawesi will take pellet food and snowflake. Although they hardly ever eat all the pellet. I usually remove it the following day if it's still in there