Mineral balls, life balls and red bee balls

Anybody use these? Would you recommend them? Are they necessary? Benefits?

Anybody use these? Would you recommend them? Are they necessary? Benefits?

I use them, though many hobbyists question their ability to actually do what they say. I can't say without a doubt that they provide my shrimp the "extra" nutrients, minerals, trace elements necessary in helping them molt, but I like the peace of mind. They are more or less an insurance policy in many of my higher end shrimp tanks, as a death by molt is one of the top reasons shrimp die. 

Unless you do a controlled experiment and test the water parameters and mineral composition daily for two years (claim on how long they last) no one will know 100%. You either trust the company your purchasing from or don't buy them.

I have mineral rocks in 3 of my tanks, and mineral balls in the 4th one. Like DET said, peace of mind, even for my 'cheap' shrimp ;) I have had issues with tanks but have never had a single molting issue. Can I say that is why - nope but also can't say that isn't why, lol

I've tried all of them. I can't say that there was any noticeable difference with the gray or orange balls. They just look nice imo. Make you look like a professional breeder. :)

The product I really noticed a change in behavior is the Shirakura Mineral stones (or any stone made from montmorillonite). All the shrimp graze on it and the Tigers literally hang out on it all day long. It might just be coincidence but almost all the molts happen on or around the rock. Like they graze the rock for one last shot of minerals before the molt. Does anyone else notice this behavior or is it just me?

All good input here!

Anybody have anything bad to say about them?

• 2 weeks later...