Shrimp Food Ingredients

Hey ShrimpSpot!

As this hobby matures the amount of shrimp food products expands. Do you look at the ingredients at all, or do you buy by the brand? I hope we all take the time to intake and understand what were feeding our shrimp. Shrimp food is very important to ensure they are receiving all the vital nutrients and minerals to assist them in maturing and molting successfully. Shrimp food and its ingredients are only 1 item out of a list of important "must-haves" in a shrimp tank.

Currently more natural/organic products are hitting the market. From manufactured pellets to dead dried up leaves but I want to know what shrimp ingredients do you look for in a food, if at all? If you do, what have you found that this ingredient brings to the table?

Thank you all! 

DETAquarium

I always look at ingredients. I just make sure that it isn't filled with fillers, binders or protein boosters.

Compare something like Hikari Shrimp Cuisine

Fish Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Cuttlefish Meal, Heat Processed Soybeans, Dried Seaweed Meal, Flaked Corn, Sodium Alginate, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Spirulina, Wheat Germ Meal, Starch, Cuttlefish Oil, Lecithin, Clam Extract, Dl-Methionine, Astaxanthin, Choline Chloride, , Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Inositol, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Oil, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate.

To CSF EdgeOmni Pro

Spinach, Stinging Nettle, Algae, Walnut leaves, Bee Pollen, Beta Glucans, Chia, Moringa Oleifera, Montmorillonite, Pepper, Healing Earth, Zeolite

Which would you rather eat? Unfortunately, the high quality foods with no binders do not stay consistent in water so a feeding dish is crucial. It's a worth while trade off imo. My favorites are CSF, GlasGarten and Shrimp King.

I am lucky enough to have my own dehydrator so I make my own and absolutely know what goes into my foods....I change it up occasionally,  but I use Spirulina, walnut leaf powder, stinging nettle, Ken's golden pearls, calcium (no vit D), montmorillonite, kelp, green lipped mussel in a green bean base. All my ingredients are fresh, organic and I know where they come from.

Looking at food ingredients has been drilled into me by my work. Not complaining at all, but it has made me look at everything now haha.

I can't say I know too much as to what exactly a shrimp needs but I know common things to look out for, fillers and disputed items that I tend to stay away from anyways (most of my knowledge is from dog/cat foods).

I need to do more research about shrimp dietary needs and go back to making my own shrimp food again.

-Duffy

Shrimpinista can you detail your process for making the food. I would love to try making my own as well.

+1 i would love to hear your process.

My process is pretty simple. I use green bean baby food, in the plastic boxes, because it has the highest percentage of calcium. All of the remaining ingredients are powdered. Using a small rubber spatula, mix to a consistency of frosting adding distilled or r/o water as needed. Then I use a cake frosting bag and tip (leaf) to create strips of food on no-stick aluminum foil. Into the dehydrator they go overnight. I save the green bean plastic boxes to store the food and add a silica gel pack to each box to keep it tasty. I keep the calcium to about 10 percent. It is important to use calcium that does not contain vit D.

My hats off to you Shrimpinista - that is quite a process.  Course you probably have it down to a fine science so it is no big deal to you anymore.  I'll have to check a dehydrator.  Which one do you use?

• 2 weeks later...

Made shrimp food today and thought I would share a picture of my process.  I keep everything in a box and that makes it very simple to assemble everything I need to mix it up. I add the green bean baby food to the bowl first and then measure out the dry stuff with a measuring spoon.Mix it all up with a small rubber spatula to a thick consistency. Put it in the cake decorating baggy and squeeze it on the aluminum foil and off to the dehydrator overnight.post-18-0-91053700-1435248181_thumb.jpg