Cmlee,

How "planted" are your tanks?

Seems to me that plants may be able to absorb some of those nitrates. I don't want to bring the dreaded "duck-weed" up without the following disclaimer: IT GETS EVERYWHERE! However it is a nitrate hog...

What about some other floating plants. Salvia (where allowed), Amazon frogbit, red root floaters.

If you're in the market, check out Han Aquatics.

Purigen doesn't remove nitrates, just the organics that lead to nitrates - I'm not sure there are any products that remove them directly. To remove them you need anerobic bacteria which would be found in a deep sand bed set up or a slow flowing filter with larger porous lava rock type media, water changes, or fast growing plants.

If you do some water changes and the add purigen it'll help prevent build up in the future but it won't lower them directly.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Buy an RO/DI system, you won't regret it. I have 30ppm nitrates out of my well water. 0 nitrates coming out of the DI canister at the end of the process. Plants will also eat Nitrates for energy. Some more than others as mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased the RO/DI unit from BUlkReefSupply that comes with a drinking water attachment and set it up under the sink for drinkable RO water. I ran a line from the main filter down to my water room and mounted the DI canister there. It'll cost some $$, and DI refills are roughly 20$ shipped, but they last reasonably long.

Oh, and due to my higher nitrate concentration I do have 5ppm nitrates out of the drinking water, RO side. Although the membrane is almost 3yrs old at this point and I should replace it.