Red Cherry Shrimp Tank Mates?

Charan

Hi Charan, have you tried looking into tiger shrimp? I keep OEBT with my Bloody Marys. RO water with a remineralizer, like Salty Shrimp GH+, is the safest way to go. Better to match the parameters of the more sensitive species (caridina), and let the hardier ones (neocaridina) adjust to that.

Just go with any neocaridina as they are rather hardy in most water condition. In fact, they seem to prefer harder water. You can keep them with green babaulti if you like...won't interbreed and they also will adjust to tap. Another easy caridina that won't interbreed with neocaridina are malawas. Other caridina like bee shrimp can be sensitive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, short question I was looking at some shrimp setups and apparently theres supposed to be 2 or 3 types of powdered substances that go under the substrate, whats that? Do I need it for almost all shrimp? Also is it a one time thing or do I constantly put in more?

Normally those powders would be a type of bacterial growth substance, or added minerals for plant growth. It isn't needed, but it helps grow extra food for the shrimps, or provide nutrients for plants. Most people use them constantly, as extra bacteria(biofilm) cuts down on other foods they need to supplement with. I have some tanks i've used it with, and others without. Not a must have by any means, but useful in the long run.  

Charan,

Welcome to shrimpspot! There's a ton of info here to get you started and lots of people who have been right where you are. I believe I know which video you are Talking about in reference to the different powders that can go into tank setup, by Fancy Shrimp? Great info if you want to go all out right out of the chute. Can be a bold investment in $ just starting out though.

The following is only my opinion, and I'm only a year into my addiction:

Start out as simple as you can just to get some prelim experience to see if you like shrimp as much as fish. In your five gal, just go with cherries for a few months. The only tankmate I'd go with is some of your snails. Java moss is excellent as well. In three months you will more than likely see a shrimp grow, mature and berry, and then throw you lots more cherries!

Some things that will be different are going to be the acclimation time (I would get into the practice of drip acclimation), amount and frequency of feedings (smaller amounts, and less often), water changes (around 20% every week is a good habit, but add it back in slowly over time so as not to shock), bacterial infections (something we all experience, learn to spot it quickly), and water parameters (not that different from fish, just a shift in emphasis).

I would avoid altering ph right off because it can be easy to loose a lot of livestock during the learning curve. With cherries I'd say stability of parameters is more important than altering them.

As far as INITIAL supplies go, I'd check out a series of videos by "Lup Diesel". Three things every tank should have is a great one.

I would also bust chops and read every post on this site pertaining to neos. Takes time but it answers questions and narrows inconsistencies.

Sorry for the info dump! For all I know you are a champion discus breeder and just want to take a break with something easy! Welcome, and good shrimpin.

Not a problem appreciate the help :) I do plan to start with only Cherry's though how many can I put in a 5.5 gallon? Also side question I never really got around to what to feed them and when. So if you can help me with feeding and the amount of Shrimp I can keep would be a great help!

Shrimp have very little bio-load, so they don't generally keep the " 1inch per gallon of water" that some people try and push. In a 5.5 you could easily get 50+, if not many many more.

As for foods, they eat a wide range of things - leaf litter(Oak, Mullberry, Stinging Nettle, IAL, etc), Shrimp pellets(Hikari,Sera, etc) Veggies like zucchini, kale, carrots, and spinach, to algae wafers or algae that grows on your tank decor or walls. Their main source of food is Biofilm(like the algae that grows on tank walls) so a mature tank is best but not the end of the world if lacking. I feed mine a rotating diet of a bit of everything, but only do so like 1 or 2 times a week. Feed them as much as they can eat in a few hours time, and then generally remove the rest as not to fowl your water. A feeding dish helps this quite a lot.

On a high population tank that will change, but works well on my tanks with low populations.

You may not need quite so many to start; cherries are extremely prolific. I started with 12 fire red cherries about 6 weeks ago. By the end of the first week I had 2 berried females, a week later there were two more. Now I have more 'shrimplets' than I can count and 3 freshly berried females! As for feeding I rely heavily on leaf litter (IAL, Mulberry, Amaranth, Guava) and other 'leave-in' foods like barley pellets and snowflake so I don't have to worry about polluting the water. I do feed a quality shrimp food about once a week for variety and remove any leftovers after a couple of hours.

So, basically within a few months of adding 12 shrimp my 10 gallon will be at capacity. I'm getting a second 10 gallon ready to go so I can separate out the best quality reds but, even so, it won't be long before I'm having to look for new homes for all of the excess shrimp!