Soothing Shrimp's Fish Fun

Soothing Shrimp

I recently bought some Albino Platinum White guppies.  Very pricey, but very pretty. 

I received a gift guppy from the breeder as well, that had dark eyes that I assumed was ruby.

That guppy had fry that perplexed me a little.  The fry had dark eyes, which I though was ruby dominant over pink so I wasn't really suprised.  What did surprise me was that maybe 5 fry were dark.

How could this be, I wondered.  Albino x Albino = Albino.  Perplexed, I wrote the breeder and inquired.

Turns out that that the one he sent along as a hit gift REALLY IS A BLACK EYED WHITE!  Awesome!!! drool.gif

He's been working on the line for about 3 years now and outbreeds the APWs with them every 3 or 4 generations for optimal health. In fact he won the IFGA AOC class last year with his Black Eyed White Line! *swoon*

So now, not only do I have the rare Albino Platinum White fry, I have the even RARER Black Eyed White fry, and some dark fry that popped from recessives.

Mystery solved...and yeah....I'm ECSTATIC! They are beautiful!!!

Sweet!  Its always fun getting surprises.  I didn't know you bred guppies, what other fish do you keep?

Guppies are great! Nice find! Dunno if i told you when I was setting up my blue velvet tank I had a lone female cycling it. No males for months...lo and behold babies :)

Thanks folks. :)

I really like the hard to get animals, and these are some of the rarest.

Oblong, I'm slowly expanding into fish.  I've always found them interesting, and I recently realized that as a selective breeder, I can selectively breed those too! (D'uh!)  :rolleyes: 

Merth, I've been told the fems can hold sperm for between 6 mo to a year!

I also have Least Killifish (Heterandria formosa) I've bred for several generations now.  They only grow about an inch or so.  Beautiful with their tiger striping!  I also love that I am able to breed them and offer them so that many less are taken from the wild. (!) B)

I have thought about trying to bred celetial pearl danios (CPDs) before but fish fry seem to take a lot more effort then shrimp fry which basically take care of themselves. 

I would love some fry when they get big enough Bryce (either white var). I might try to get my hands on some koi swordtails as well, I hear they are tough to find ones that arent sterile.

Sure thing, Merth.  I was lucky to get them from an international show breeder, so they are already very good quality. :D

I separated the dark colored ones today into a small holding tank.  All Black eyed of course.  I'll let them grow for a while I'm figuring out what to do with them.

I still need to separate the light bodied Black eyes from the Albinos.  At this point I don't want any immediate crossing. 

Takes about a month before the gonopodium and tail is formed.  NOT easy sexing these fry yet.

Gong to switch the BEW female to her own tank when I can.

I guess I should change the title of this thread to Soothing's Fish Fun. heh  Okay.  I did. :)

From reading it looks as if these two strains are weird.  Usually the males carry the color.  In these the females are the ones you want to select carefully for carrying color.  It's not on the Y gene, but the X gene that makes the males show the best whites.  Weird!

If you get some CPD's going let me know, I would love to buy some off you.  My wife likes them and always calls them salmon because of the way they look.

Ya Bryce I can usually sex at the 3-4 week mark. Particularly when the fry are seperated and basically gut loaded with golden pearls and crushed brine shrimp flakes.

Good to know Merth.  Thanks!  I'm a total noob at this!

Oblong, I'll put you at the top of my waiting list for CPD offspring. ;)

I had to look really long and hard to find red fins.  I found orangish, but not the nice red ones.  Finally when I found them I was overjoyed!

Which leads me to my soapbox:  There are a LOT of people who sell shrimp and fish who just "borrow" another photo from the web, or add untrue "color corrections" to their photos. IMHO not only is this misleading, but it is downright dishonest.

If I want to buy someone's stock, I want to see THEIR stock.  Not someone else's or an untrue color.  If they suck at pics, so what?  I do too! (You can tell by my sales pics.) Most times if the seller says he can't get a good pic, I say, "Bye."  Been burned too many times before.  If you have not heard of the seller before, you can always ask for the date on a piece of paper held up next to their stock.

Okay, off my soapbox before it breaks under my weight. LOL

Good point about pics. I've had to back off many who offer "Australian Rainbow Fish" and just use a stock photo over and over. When I got my stock I was after the real thing, and good fish. Ended up buying mops and hatching and raising my own.

That said, I really suck at shrimp photography. I think I would need to set up special tanks for it. I know a guy on the rainbow forum who does the most INCREDIBLE pics of his rainbow fry. But the tank is very special, it's quite thin so that he does not have to work so hard getting the depth of field right. That seems pretty smart to me, so  maybe I'll do that one of these days.

You have good thinking, my friend.  If you can't find what you want- make them.  That's what got me into selective breeding. I couldn't find the quality I wanted, or if I did the health was low.  So, like you, I increased quality myself. *thumbs up*

There are some great lens clips for phones that take awesome macros.  Unfortunately, I don't own a cell phone.