What do you wish you had known...

Patience and stability. If you are using the right basics (buffering soil for cardina shrimp, general GH range, general temp range, periodic water changes and top offs) you're going to have a good chance to succeed if you keep your patience. If you chase the latest substrate, fret and tweak your tank over very small parameter differences, success may be much more elusive. The more you read, the more you'll see there is a decent range for success - that's what allows people to have a lot of opinions on what works. Generally, though, it boils down to being in the range of desired parameters that is common to the lots of different styles. Also, be wary of extreme opinions that you read across the forums (not that I have seen that here) as they can be formed by folks not using the best maintenance practices. You'll start to identify folks that seem to have more success than failures (we still all do have failures) and once you find them, track their posts, progress and journals. They'll probably have some good tips they've shared, and you'll probably notice that they seem to be patient in nature. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chad has it right -

Patience is key

Less is more - or keep it simple.

Spend time learning the ins and outs of water chemistry for what you want to keep before you get started, otherwise it will be a very costly, short lived 'hobby'.

Make sure your tank is WELL cycled before adding livestock.

Water can rarely be too clean for shrimp, over filtration is advised and suggested.

Use an air stone for all tanks.

I find the more I leave tanks alone, the better they do. Keep it simple stupid.

Don't forget the leaf litter!!

Bare bottom tanks look great, but are a pain to deal with, same goes for small tanks. Larger tanks are more forgiving - if you have the room.

Perhaps the best peice of advice i've ever recieved - If you have questions, ask. We have lots of wonderful, extremely knowledgeable people at our disposal here, tap them for questions or ideas. Same goes when looking for new additions, check with others in the hobby before your local stores or online auctions.

I think chad's post is right on the money. You can find all the information you need on this forum and elsewhere online to learn everything you need but you will still make mistakes which will teach you a lot too.

The biggest lesson I've learned with TB's is to take your water changes and top offs slow

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

And remember that we have a private messaging system here.  If you want to ask someone specific about something, feel free to pm if you desire.  Some are better at reading and responding to pm than others, and usually it's nothing personal.  I've found it's a great way to make friends in the hobby.  We all have to help each other, my friend. :)

Wonderful advice, ChadO! You have some really compelling things to say. I immensely appreciate you sharing. :)

On a side note, is the shrimp in your avatar one of yours? It's beautiful! Wow.

Thanks!  Yeah, that is one of mine that I took with my macro lens and cropped.  A couple funny things about that shrimp:

1. She (and a lot of her tank mates) came from a group of 35 SSS CBS shrimp that I bought.  I had really good breeding out of that tank, and almost every batch of CBS babies that I got, I would get 2-3 really nice CRS babies.  So, I rounded up the CRS babies out of the tank and eventually moved them to their own tank.

2. A picture of her is the first time I'd ever clearly noticed a saddle on a solid white CRS female.  I took pictures of her because I thought she was one of my best in the tank.  When I started cropping and zooming in on the picture, I noticed the "break" in the shell behind her head, and I could see the saddle.  To the naked eye this was not very easy to see - unless you knew how to look for it.  A day or so later, she molted and then berried up.

Folks have followed up here with lots of other good advice.  Welcome in to the hobby, and keep asking questions.