Did an experiment with Nana Anubias

Soothing Shrimp

Hypothesis: Ferts will make Nana Anubias grow leaves faster

Experiment: I received a beautiful Nana Anubias from Wicca awhile back, and decided to try something unusual to see what would happen.

• I divided the Nana into 3 parts. 2 with 3 or more leaves, and 1 with one leaf from the middle.

• I then submerged the ROOTS of the three sections in a small tank, strained and filtered organic miracle grow for fert. added to the water.

• The plants was kept in the tank for two months, topping off with RO and light provided from a full spectrum bulb for ~10- 12 hrs a day.

Results:  The 1 leaf middle section never grew another leaf, although the leaf didn't die at all.

The other two ends did grow more leaves, but slowly.

Something unexpected though, was the roots shot out and I had small thread like roots everywhere.

I then placed the sections submerged in an aquarium, without ferts.  The leaves are growing more quickly now and the roots have not grown and spread as before.

Experiment Conclusion:  Do not fertilize.  All growth will be put into more roots, not more leaves.

Possible errors: Submerged roots vs submerged plants may have played a part in the experiment.  However from what I have read, they should have actually grown faster that way, and this did not happen.